• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Way to Sell Used RPG Material?

Mercurius

Legend
Before getting into any of that, I'd first ask yourself a question: How badly do you need the money and how much do you want to get rid of your stuff? For most items you're not going to get a great return, especially when you factor in the time it takes to put stuff up online and drive to the post office. If you really need the cash and want to get rid of your stuff, read on. If not, well, just enjoy the way your books look on the shelf.

The problem with selling RPG stuff is that quite a lot of it has little or no value, especially third-party stuff from the OGL/d20 days. Trying to get rid of your copy of Diomin or Codex of Erde? Good luck.

It really depends upon what you're trying to sell. There are some basic rules of thumb, but RPG material can vary widely in price. Feel free to post a list of what you have and I'll try to let you know what has value and what is kindling.

RPG.Net has a good sales/trade forum, but the same principle applies - you might garner interest in your copy of Wilderlands of High Fantasy or Knights of the Old Republic, but no one wants your copy of Oathbound.

This is the same for used books in general - the availability of materials on the internet has both increased the price and value of truly rare items, and decreased the value of everything else. You'll see $.01 priced copies of books on Amazon; the price of shipping is $3.99, so one can only surmise that a small profit is made if the seller ships cheaply.

Ebay or Amazon are both useful, Half.com as well, but especially with the latter two you might just put your stock online and then forget about it until you get an email four months later that one book sold.

You might also want to consider selling them as lots on Ebay. You won't make much money per book, but you could sell a bunch of stuff and still make a few dollars. A "twenty book d20 lot" might make you $20-50, whereas most of them wouldn't sell individually. Of course then it depends upon how desperate you are for the money or if, in the end, you'd rather keep a given book than sell it for $2-3.

Hope that helps and good luck! Again, feel free to post your list of stuff and plenty of the folks here will be able to help you out.

I also will say Noble Knight Games is an excellent company.

I've only bought from them (not sold to them) so I can't speak to that aspect.

They very clearly care about their company, but also about games and books. They have been THE best of the companies I've dealt with in buying hundreds of used gaming products. I suspect that this would be true on the purchasing end as well as the sales end.

That said, what I would do is pick out the "big ticket" items and give them a shot on ebay. Like trading in a car versus selling it outright, I would guess that Nobleknight (or any seller) will give you less than full market value, but be more of a guaranteed sale (which is what they should do, if they are planning to sell it at full market value).

I also think there may be materials even a reseller like Nobleknight may not want. The low quality, sells on ebay for $1 books may be best sold as a "lot" or bundle on ebay.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I will, 4th?, nobleknight.

Also, they will give you an estimate. You might be surprised by what is worth something, and what is not.

The way store credit is handled is super handy (well, if you want to get more stuff).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads