D&D 5E Beyond the Dragon of Icespire Peak

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
The Essentials Kit keeps getting better and better.

So I finally noticed that the DndBeyond extra adventures for the Essentials Kit are out. It is a trilogy of adventures taking characters all the way to level 12. The trilogy is composed of:

Storm Lord's Wrath (6-9)

Sleeping Dragon's Wake (9-11)

Divine Contention (11-12)

In addition to the maps and the three adventures, it also expands the sidekick rules by adding level progression for them after level 6. I personally love that they did this.

Has anyone else checked the adventures out? Or has even anyone already play them?

Edit: Fixed level ranges and some typos.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
These are $4.99 each on DND Beyond.

That last adventure, Divine Contention, includes a magic item named the "Gnomengarde Grenade" which I want to know more about :)

Yes, I've looked at them. They are well written but generic sandboxes. They follow the same format as Icespire Peak: a quest hub with a bunch of sidequests that lead to a climactic struggle.

A couple of issues:

Running them all the way through depends on the players buying into supporting the quest hub town. There isn't really a great deal of incentive for them to do so apart from the regular availability of adventuring work. They might just do a couple of quests then decide to move on.

Job board feels gamey.

One of the adventures has an enforced "fail" ending, or as near as darnit.

Positives:

Polished.

Lots of recurring NPCs to engage in role play with.

Good sense of place with a lot of Forgotten Realms lore and references to characters and novels. (could be a negative if you want to move it someplace else).

"Wild West" feel.

Nothing whacky or outlandish.

teitan

Legend
If the players don't bite on the format (reminds me of the Witcher game) then there are a couple of WOTC adventures that DO technically start around the level they would be when they finish the first one in Essentials. Princes of the Apocalypse and Storm King's Thunder could be great to leap into next.

I'm considering using them (on FG) after my players finish Dragon Heist. They are leaning towards becoming Grey Hands and I've set it up that their really isn't an Active Grey Force at the moment. So they can become the ones that take on that role. I'm hoping these work well enough for that along with some remixing. Basically Vajra will send them out to do these missions or secure the town for Waterdeep. Something like that. I havene't read it yet, but that's the niche I hope they fit for me.

Nebulous

Legend
Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind continuing the Phandelver region story past Lost Mine and Icespire. And I would want to end the campaign by 9th anyway. What is the ultimate goal of the first part, Storm Lord's Wrath? I'm already incorporating a good chunk of that (Talos stuff) into Lost Mine as of 4th level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases