• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Wizard announcement

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
And thus Wizards opened the Geekdom Floodgates!

I think it's an amazing opportunity.
But I'm still waiting for the official press release on wizards.com

trancejeremy

Adventurer
This is nuts, IMHO. It's gotta to be a scam or a hoax. I mean, if WOTC wants a new world, instead of paying $160,000 for fan missions, why don't they just ask their employees to make one up? I mean, they couldn't have fired all the creative people. Surely they've got some left.

Paradigm

First Post
trancejeremy said:
This is nuts, IMHO. It's gotta to be a scam or a hoax. I mean, if WOTC wants a new world, instead of paying $160,000 for fan missions, why don't they just ask their employees to make one up? I mean, they couldn't have fired all the creative people. Surely they've got some left.

I don't know. Last time I asked, I was told that they had to change the name to Wizard of the Coast.

Basically I think Jeff Grubb casts Mirror Image on himself just so he looks like more people.

:p

sensate

First Post
I think it is odd that wotc doesn't say anything about the contest on their web site. This is beginning to look like a hoax to me. Does anyone have some proof that this contest is real?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
sensate said:
I think it is odd that wotc doesn't say anything about the contest on their web site. This is beginning to look like a hoax to me. Does anyone have some proof that this contest is real?

Anthony Valterra confirms it in the big thread in General Discussion. The document itself was sent to me by Don Williams, WotC's PR guy. If that info doesn't convice you, then nothing will. :)

DPGDarrin

First Post
Just remember that while this looks like the opportunity of a lifetime (and it is), what they are looking for may not be so easy to produce. It pretty much needs to have a wide range of appeal, while not being a clone of something that's already been done. This means that it probably shouldn't be way off in left field like Spelljammer or Darksun, and yet shouldn't be homogonized fantasy like the Forgotten Realms. Chances are that they want something that is pretty well developed already, much like the Forgotten Realms was when the bought it from Ed Greenwood - meaning that you may have a really cool original idea, but it might not make the cut because you haven't fleshed it out enough.

The other thing to remember is that they are fishing for really cool and original ideas. This isn't a contest. I'm pretty sure that if an employee or group of employees were to come up with the idea they use for the next campaign setting, then they would go that route and award them appropriately. The great thing about this is that there is now an open door for the submission of ideas to WotC. This could prove to be as signifficant to a lucky new developer as all of the open doors in the D20 industry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads