Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Spinning disk of blades, up to
30-ft. radius
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Reflex negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell creates a spinning disk of razor-sharp blades. These whirl and flash around a central point, creating an immobile, circular barrier. Any creature passing through the blade barrier takes 1d6 points of slashing damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). The plane of rotation of the blades can be horizontal, vertical, or slanted.

Creatures within the blade barrier when it is invoked take the damage as well. They can negate the damage with a successful Reflex saving throw, provided they can and do physically leave the area of the blades by the shortest possible route. Once the barrier is in place, anything entering or passing through the blades automatically takes damage.

A blade barrier serves as one-half cover (+4 AC) for anyone beyond it.

The way I want to use Blade Barrier is for disrupting a spell caster. I know I can ready an action to cast a spell if someone starts casting a spell. Because of the way Ready actions take place my spell goes off after they start to cast a spell but before they finish. The blade barrier text says that a successful reflex save negates the damage provided they CAN and DO phsically leave the area of the blades. Since they are casting a spell now, does that mean they can't leave the area of effect and even with a successful saving throw they HAVE to take damage? Just curious as to how others would rule this.

Also, if the above works and they have now taken damage. If they want to try and leave the area of effect they have to take damage again? The spell says after it is in place, anything passing through it automatically takes damage.

Let me know guys!

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Blade Barrier takes 1 full round to cast so you can't ready that action to disrupt a spellcaster.

If you had it quickened, I'd say the target gets to save and can move out of the way as the spell describes. If the save succeeds, I'd require the "vigurous motion" concentration check. If the save fails, then the concentration check is 10+damage dealt+spell level.

Last edited:

Krystoff

First Post
Hmm, didn't think of the casting time. So we will assume this is in regards to a quickened blade barrier.

How can they move though? They are in the middle of casting a spell. They would have to drop the spell I would think.

Disclaimer:

I'm not discounting anyones opinion. I asked and I received so thanks! Just trying to figure out from a rules POV why they would receive free movement.

Akunin

First Post
Eh? Of course you can! You just can't Quicken a spell with a casting time greater than one round.

Of course, a Quickened Blade Barrier will require a 10th-level spell slot, so that's a whole other problem...

Last edited:

Krystoff

First Post
You can't quicken a full-round spell.

Why not? From the released SRD.

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: Casting a quickened spell is a free action. The character can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as the character casts a quickened spell. The character may only cast one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Edit: Fixed quote

P.S You beat me to it!

Last edited:

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
How can they move though? They are in the middle of casting a spell.

How do they get to dodge a melee attack? Why do they keep their Dex bonus to AC while casting? There's nothing in casting a spell that says you can't move (ignoring again that Blade Barrier is a full round spell so you can't do a move-equivalent while casting that).

Casters get to wiggle around (dodge, etc.) while casting. Reflex saves allow you to move as well.

"Realisticallly" it may seem a little weird but by the rules that's the way it works. Near as I can tell.

Remove ads