Level Up (A5E) Bladechanter and Booming/Green-Flame Blade Question

nyarly23

Villager
Assuming the "blade-trips" Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade are allowed from O5E's Tasha book:

Can a character with the Bladechanter synergy feat utilize both the cantrip (which requires a weapon attack) and the feat's reaction-spell feature?

I consulted the rules for casting multiple spells in a round (AG 493), and the answer seems like a grey area to me, as it also does in O5E.

Essentially, on a hit with a weapon, the feat allows the casting of a (slotted) spell with a casting time of 1 action, but the character is actually using their reaction.

Should the slotted spell (which in my head I refer to as a "spell-smite") be treated as a 1-action spell, which would prevent it from being cast on the same turn as the cantrip (which also has a 1 action casting time)?

Or should the "spell-smite" be allowed in conjunction with the cantrip, as the character is really using their reaction?

i mean, the question is a non-starter because the rule you're referring to only applies if you cast a spell as a bonus action, which you're not doing.

i mean, the question is a non-starter because the rule you're referring to only applies if you cast a spell as a bonus action, which you're not doing.
Also, the bladechanter feat that allows to cast a spell with a reaction also specifies that the spell must be 1st level or higher and both Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade are cantrips

I was playing a bit with the Bladechanter synergy feat, eligible spells, and the final feat of the chain (Eldritch Whirlwind Master) that allows to target as many enemies as the spell level cast as a reaction (within 10 feet).
Then I found out that Chain Lightning is cast as 1 action and has 1 primary target, making it eligible for this feat....
Thus a bladechanter with the Eldritch Whirlwind Master feat can, on a reaction when he hits with a melee attack, cast Chain lightning on 6 different primary targets, and each of those can spark secondary arcs to 3 different targets.

I'm in awe

Edit: it's even better as the text specifies that the spell affects a number of additional targets equal to the spell level, so this means 7 primary targets for the chain lightning

Also, the bladechanter feat that allows to cast a spell with a reaction also specifies that the spell must be 1st level or higher and both Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade are cantrips
well, what (i'm pretty sure) OP's wondering is if casting booming/green flame blade prevents you from using the reaction, not if you can cast booming/green flame blade with the reaction. OP wants to use booming/green flame blade to land an attack and then cast some other spell as a reaction.

I was playing a bit with the Bladechanter synergy feat, eligible spells, and the final feat of the chain (Eldritch Whirlwind Master) that allows to target as many enemies as the spell level cast as a reaction (within 10 feet).
Then I found out that Chain Lightning is cast as 1 reaction and has 1 primary target, making it eligible for this feat....
Thus a bladechanter with the Eldritch Whirlwind Master feat can, on a reaction when he hits with a melee attack, cast Chain lightning on 6 different primary targets, and each of those can spark secondary arcs to 3 different targets.

I'm in awe

Edit: it's even better as the text specifies that the spell affects a number of additional targets equal to the spell level, so this means 7 primary targets for the chain lightning
Dear God...

Dragongrief

Explorer
Then I found out that Chain Lightning is cast as 1 action and has 1 primary target, making it eligible for this feat....

I'm in awe

This would be highly dependent on the DM's leniency. The feat allows spells that target "a single creature or have a range of touch." It doesn't specify primary targets.

The spell lists its target as "One creature or object (primary) and up to three additional."

So the spell could be disallowed as a whole since it can target multiple creatures (like Magic Missle would), or it could be allowed, but with a requirement of only the primary target for each bolt.

Obviously a DM can rule however they'd like, but those two options seem like the most direct readings of the rules.

Still really powerful, but since they have to be within 10ft of you, you'd have to be getting swarmed to make full use of the additional targets.

This would be highly dependent on the DM's leniency. The feat allows spells that target "a single creature or have a range of touch." It doesn't specify primary targets.

The spell lists its target as "One creature or object (primary) and up to three additional."

So the spell could be disallowed as a whole since it can target multiple creatures (like Magic Missle would), or it could be allowed, but with a requirement of only the primary target for each bolt.

Obviously a DM can rule however they'd like, but those two options seem like the most direct readings of the rules.

Still really powerful, but since they have to be within 10ft of you, you'd have to be getting swarmed to make full use of the additional targets.
Well, there's one creature as a target, and up to three additional. You could cast this spell against a single target of course, so even a very strict DM should allow to use the spell and disallow the secondary targets (albeit this would violate the spell's description). One could do even worse BTW, like multiple fingers of death.

Regarding the getting swarmed part, with this combo one would probably throw himself gleefully in melee in a literal blaze of glory

Remove ads