Blandest d20 Product?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Easy.

Empires of the Sands (1988)
http://www.svgames.com/tsr9224esd.html

That was the last time I ever judged a gaming product by it's cover.

The book wasn't bad, strictly speaking, it was just dull. I wanted dijin and flying carpets over a sea of desert adventure. Instead I got a list of adventurer stat blocks and cultures that were practically western. It's like the author put a turban on an elf and walked away from the project. The sheer mediocrity of this book is highlighted by a full page acknowledgement in the front that turns into an apology as you continue to read it.

It's useable. But like the lush greenlands deserts of Calimshan, this product is devoid of anything cool.

The Epic Level Handbook. Due to a glitch at buy.com, I got it for less than $15 new. That's about how much the monster section was worth, which was the only redeeming section of the entire book, unfortunately.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
SpuneDagr said:
1988... You sure that was D20?

Staying on topic is for the weak and the sober.

(but you're right, I should have paid attention)

RSKennan said:
Do you have it handy? I'd like to see a quote of this if possible. Did the author seem to know it was lackluster?

No, I got rid of it about ten years ago. If memory serves, it started out thanking everyone who helped with the product and then went into acknowleding the deadline and went on from there. But when I say it was a full page, I mean the guy literally went on for a full text page. Of course, in hindsight, he probably was put under pressure with 2e coming out around that time. I just wish he'd been able to pull it off.

Turanil

First Post
It's difficult for me to tell, since I only have 40 D20 books or so. However, I have been relatively disapointed by two books:

- Relic & Rituals: Excalibur. There are interesting things in it, especially the description of the various races, that I would be prone to use in a pure D&D game instead of regular elves, dwarves, etc. There is also interesting feats and spells, and a few other things. Nonetheless, despite not being bad, the overall feel taste bland to me. In fact it just doesn't convey an Arthurian ambiance as I would have expected from this product. Don't get me wrong: this is not a bad product, it has many things usable; but overall it lacks a real Arthurian feel.

- Book of Exalted Deeds. I will soon sell this book on ebay. For me, how to say it, it's like the Christian Angelic mythology seen through a Walt Disney lense, plus terribly simple. This book has been a big disappointment to me.

Sir Elton

First Post
diaglo said:
Stronghold builder's guidebook
:eek:

Diaglo, you surprise me.

The one d20 book that was utterly blah for me was . . . The Last Stand of Constantinople. And that was based on the cover.

Then just about every sourcebook for d20 that I have was blah in some way or another. Thats why I try not to buy them; unless there is something useful to be used. :D

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Sir Elton said:
Diaglo, you surprise me.

gotta catch 'em all.

yeah, i have owned or still own all of the WotC/TSR line. from 1971 (Chainmail) to date.

novels, modules, sourcebooks, hardbacks, minis, dice, gummy monsters, coloring books, plastic toys, stickers, you name it....

i bought what i could find.

boot hill, gamma world, top secret....yadda yadda yadda...

just cuz my hat for d02 knows no limits... doesn't mean i still don't collect. if nothing else it helps me sleep. open d02 book... fall asleep.

Remove ads