• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blast from the past...

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Red Moon Games said:
I happened to come across this old link from 1997 (WotC to acquire TSR!):

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~klaproth/esflatestnews.html

It was interesting looking back at some of the fears/hopes/expectations that were around at the time. Anyway, just thought I'd share... nothing like a blast from the past to revive all those memories :)

I had given up on AD&D at this time, playing Palladium Fantasy and the WoD, and I recall hoping that a new edition AD&D was on the way - and I remember thinking I's have to look at it if it did come

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Infernal Teddy said:
I had given up on AD&D at this time, playing Palladium Fantasy and the WoD, and I recall hoping that a new edition AD&D was on the way - and I remember thinking I's have to look at it if it did come

Well, I know a lot of folks look back nostalgically at the days of TSR, including myself (too many good memories!). However, I think the acquisition (and 3rd ed) was a very positive thing for D&D and reivigorated the industry.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Well, I'd been playing AD&D since about 1991, and it was great - until about 1995/96, which is when I switched, because it felt to me as if TSR was slowly losing it's mind / focus, I never did understand which.

It's also the period when I abandoned Dragon Magazine, which never again was as good as under Roger Moore (But Erik is a close 2nd ;) )

player 2

First Post
The ony thing missing is Ryan Dancey's classic post about visiting TSR during the run-up to the aquisition.

This sure does bring back memories. Thanks for the link!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Wow, I remember being so worried about all of this. It was at a time when I didn't play D&D for a few years. I never thought 3rd Edition would come out and be so good. Not only that, I didn't think I'd be making products for it either. That sure brings back tons of memories. Thanks for posting it!

Remove ads