Blast trouble

Zhure

First Post
I'll try to phrase this as neutrally as possible, looking for others' opinions.

Assume layout thus, fifteen foot wide corridor
Key:
x - empty square
d - dragonborn
a - ally
e - enemy

xad
eae
xex
xxe

Could the dragonborn breathe in such a way as to catch only the two enemies along the outside wall adjacent to him without hitting any allies?
-Z-

Deverash

First Post
I'll try to phrase this as neutrally as possible, looking for others' opinions.

Assume layout thus, fifteen foot wide corridor
Key:
x - empty square
d - dragonborn
a - ally
e - enemy

xad
eae
xex
xxe

Could the dragonborn breathe in such a way as to catch only the two enemies along the outside wall adjacent to him without hitting any allies?
-Z-

Sure. The requirement of a close blast is that one part of it be adjacent to you. So, by RAW, there's nothing wrong with this

x - empty square
X - Empty Square being Blasted
d - dragonborn
a - ally
e - enemy
E - Enemy being Blasted
B - Would be in the blast, if it wasn't for the wall

xad
eaEBB
xeXBB
xxEBB

Journeymanmage

First Post
looking at pg 272 (phb), -AoE, Blast.

Simple answer: Yes.

Reasoning:
You must place the blast, blast 3 in this case, adjacent. So in effect, your Dragonborn, turns his head (no game effect) ... and breathes along the wall.

The attack moves along the wall 3 spaces, the remainder of the attack would be blocked by the wall.

(blue W for wall)

xadw?
eaew?
xexw?
xxew?

You're putting the 3x3 adjacent to the Dragonborn, with the "top left" square hitting the 1st enemy and the "bottem left" of the 3x3 hitting the 2nd enemy. The remaining "center column" and "right column" of the breath-weapon is hitting the wall on the right-side.

keterys

First Post
Agree with the above - you're including the wall squares, you just don't have line of effect so targets in or past the wall are not affected.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I agree with the concensus here but I have an additional question. With Stinking Cloud it creates a burst 2 cloud that can be moved. Would you allow the cloud's center point to moved against a wall and thereby reduce its overall area of effect?

For example ;

'-'=Blank space
'x'=Stinking Cloud AoE
x = center point of SC
-----
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
-----

Could be changed to
-----
--xxx
--xxx
--xxx
--xxx
--xxx
-----

thoughts? Sorry if this hijacks the thread too much, I'll fork if the OP wants me to.

Journeymanmage

First Post
Holy Bovine: Yes, you can do that.

You could then move the center point away from the wall and end up changing the AoE again. (Using the 2nd pic.) If you then moved it 1 space to the left, you would have a 4x5 cloud ... If you moved it 2 spaces to the left, you would have the 5x5 cloud again. The burst is from the center point.

(using the 2nd pic again), You can Not move the cloud to the right. Moving the cloud to the right, puts the center point / origin in the wall.

Last edited:

Remove ads