D&D 5E Blessed Weapons in 5e

Quickleaf

Legend
Great feedback, thanks!

Right now, I'm consider something like this...

Blessed Weapons
A weapon can become “blessed”, and thus as effective as silver against the loup du noir, in several ways:
  • The bless spell can be cast on a single weapon or 10 pieces of ammunition instead of three creatures.
  • A 10 minute ritual by a cleric or paladin expending Channel Divinity makes a weapon “blessed” for 1 hour.
  • Dousing a weapon or 10 pieces of ammunition in holy water as an action makes them “blessed” for 1 minute or until used to hit a creature (whichever comes first).
  • Some weapons forged on holy ground or with holy components are considered innately “blessed.”
  • At the DM's discretion, magical weapons may be treated as “blessed” when wielded by a creature of profound goodness.

I'd also allow anyone with the Acolyte background to know of rituals to bless a weapon for the purposes of this unusual damage reduction. An Int(Religion) or (History) check might be able to recall where to find a weapon that would be considered "Blessed".

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'd rule that a weapon can be blessed by a good cleric or paladin, either permanently by forging it on holy ground during a consecration ceremony or temporarly by directly subjecting it to the bless spell.

Last edited:

Why not just let the bless spell work? Target a single weapon instead of 3 creatures. It's an alternative casting of an existing spell that most parties will have ready access to. By making it target a specific weapon you can reduce the availability. Maybe require an INT (religion) check DC 15 to recognize the need and how to use the spell for this purpose.

This is what I went with for my campaign. Its simple and it works without needing to create new special spells.

tyrelwar

Villager
Great feedback, thanks!

Right now, I'm consider something like this...

Blessed Weapons
A weapon can become “blessed”, and thus as effective as silver against the loup du noir, in several ways:
  • The bless spell can be cast on a single weapon or 10 pieces of ammunition instead of three creatures.
  • A 10 minute ritual by a cleric or paladin expending Channel Divinity makes a weapon “blessed” for 1 hour.
  • Dousing a weapon or 10 pieces of ammunition in holy water as an action makes them “blessed” for 1 minute or until used to hit a creature (whichever comes first).
  • Some weapons forged on holy ground or with holy components are considered innately “blessed.”
  • At the DM's discretion, magical weapons may be treated as “blessed” when wielded by a creature of profound goodness.
Why "blessed" only with profound goodness. Why not someone with profound sense of divinity to any god. Maybe lolth blessed the blade?

Quickleaf

Legend
Why "blessed" only with profound goodness. Why not someone with profound sense of divinity to any god. Maybe lolth blessed the blade?

Because I'm reconciling the 5e MM rakshasa's treatment of "blessed crossbow bolt" from past editions with my broader conception of "blessed."

Remove ads