• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blind Swordsman?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
So I've been intrigued by the concept of the blind swordsman ...

And I've been wondering how to put together that kind of character in-game.

So far I've found Blind-Fight and Hear the Unseen that would be helpful for a blind character, but are there any more feats out there for a guy like this?

Any build ideas?

--fje

Cabral

First Post
Spatial Location Awareness ... oh wait, wrong game. I thought I saw somewhere a feat that grant blindsense ... Almost. From the WotC site excerpt from Races of Stone, Earth Sense

Sejs

First Post
At a suggestion, start off with monk levels and pick up that one feat from Ebberon that lets you use a longsword as a monk weapon (Whirling Steel Strike?).

Get Blind-Fighting
Get the requisite wis (19, I think) and pick up the Blindsight 5' Radius feat from Sword and Fist.
Get the Improved Blindsight feat from Savage Species. Memory serving that increased your Blindsight by 30'.

Cabral

First Post
Savage Speices does not have Improved Blindsense, but it does have Blindsense as Sor/Wiz 2 spell
Sword and Fist aslo has Ninja of the Crescent Moon which eventual grants Blindsight 60'
The Henshin Mystic (Oriental Adventures) grants Blind-Fight and Blindsight 30'

This sounds like a good opportunity to craft a new Prestige class! :D

So how about pre-requisites: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Weapon Focus, BAB +5
Good BAB progression, d10 or d8 HD Good Fort (and maybe Ref) saves
Special class abilities should be improved blind-fight and increasing blindsense (5' at 1st level, +5' per level would mean blindsight 50' at level 10)

dvvega

Explorer
You could go the psionic route as well. There is a power that let you see/hear using another sense.

This would also explain how extremely loud noise hampers the blind swordsman.

D

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
If it were me, I'd just grant blindsense 30'. The character will still need to buy Blind-fighting, but from the perspective of the DM, I'd say trading normal vision for half-assed vision is an acceptable transaction. It'll make the character playable, with that "I'm blind, but I can keep track of stuff because I'm so good at hearing" shtick. Keep in mind that even with blindsense, you still move at 1/2 speed. I'd allow the character to use Blind-fighting as a prerequisite to getting blindsight 5' radius, and then later expand that radius, achieving true Zaitoichi-like mastery of his environment.

Cabral

First Post
The Psionic Power is Synesthete

There is also the Blindsight [Wild] feat from masters of the wild. It requires the ability to wildshape into a dire bat but gives you blindsight 120' dependant on the ability to hear. Maybe you can work with your DM for alternate prereqs.

Sejs

First Post
Cabral said:
Savage Speices does not have Improved Blindsense, but it does have Blindsense as Sor/Wiz 2 spell

Man, then where the heck did I see that feat? I know I've seen it somewhere.

Stalker0

Legend
Blindsense coupled with the blindsight 5 foot feat would be cool. You can pinpoint creatures, and actually hit them when you get in close.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads