• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bluff(Feinting in Combat) Redesigned

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Bluff(Feinting in Combat): Provides a bonus to hit equal to ½ the character’s level(round down, minimum of 1) +1, instead of denying the target is Dexterity bonus. The target adds it Dexterity modifier to its Sense Motive
check in addition to its base attack bonus.

This would make it useful to all classes not just those with sneak attack.

I added the Dexterity modifier to the roll because by its definition Dexterity is a measure of a characters reaction speed(Initiative bonus), and ability to Reflexes to sudden actions(bonus to Reflex save).

Thoughts, Comments, Ideas?

Technik4

First Post
Who are you appealing to with feinting? Power attacking characters at low levels, at higher levels its far better to get a full-round attack (usually), rogues won't like it as much, and sword and shield types tend to go with more conservative methods similair to 2-handers, meaning take their full-round attack.

Feinting is a nice low-level way for rogues to get sneak attacks (esp if they want a non-sneaky rogue), by changing the way it works it doesn't seem to appeal to any class (giving up a standard or move action (with Imp Feint) in order to get an attack bonus - IF you manage to bluff them).

I like it better as a non-sneak rogue avenue for doing sneak attacks (non-magical too).

Technik

Li Shenron

Legend
It would be quite better if you allow this as an extra use of Bluff, sort of another way to feint but not the only way. The core feinting rule is indeed useful only to characters with sneak attack, but it's such a nice tactic for them that I would never take it away from the game...

Grayhawk

First Post
I have another idea for Feinting.

How about removing it from the Bluff skill and making it an opposed attack roll instead? (With the same resulst as per the RAW, on a successful feint.)

The reason being, that those better at fighting should be the best at both feinting and seeing through a feint.

Obviously, this takes away from the Bluff and Sense Motive skills, but is it otherwise sound?

Sorry for the slight hi-jack...

DanMcS

Explorer
Darren Ravenshaw said:
Bluff(Feinting in Combat): Provides a bonus to hit equal to ½ the character’s level(round down, minimum of 1) +1, instead of denying the target is Dexterity bonus. The target adds it Dexterity modifier to its Sense Motive
check in addition to its base attack bonus.

This would make it useful to all classes not just those with sneak attack.

This makes feinting completely useless to sneak-attackers, since it no longer denies the target his dex bonus. Bad change.

DanMcS

Explorer
Grayhawk said:
I have another idea for Feinting.

How about removing it from the Bluff skill and making it an opposed attack roll instead? (With the same resulst as per the RAW, on a successful feint.)

The reason being, that those better at fighting should be the best at both feinting and seeing through a feint.

Obviously, this takes away from the Bluff and Sense Motive skills, but is it otherwise sound?

I would make that a separate maneuver, and call it a Beat (after the fencing move, in which you beat aside your opponent's weapon so you can attack). Leaving feinting with bluff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads