Board Game Review: Battlestar Galactica by Fantasy Flight Games

Today we're going to take a look at Battlestar Galactica. There's a couple of reasons for this; first up,Fantasy Flight have just announced the release of what will probably be the final expansion set for the game ("Daybreak", coming later this year). Second, I wrote an article in the week about why not all games built around licenses are terrible – just most ofthem – and of the few decent...

Today we're going to take a look at Battlestar Galactica. There's a couple of reasons for this; first up,Fantasy Flight have just announced the release of what will probably be the final expansion set for the game ("Daybreak", coming later this year). Second, I wrote an article in the week about why not all games built around licenses are terrible – just most ofthem – and of the few decent ones, Battlestar Galactica shines like a beacon. Now, that may be a small spoiler for what I reckon about the game (yes, it's great, you can quit reading now if you wish) but seriously – even if you've never watched a single episode of the show, you should give Battlestar a shot.

Why? It was first released back in 2008, a lifetime ago in the world of boardgames. In an environment where the Cult of the New is ever-increasing in number, why on earthshould you play something that is (gasp!) five years old? One simple reason: you will never experience a more balanced example of deduction and paranoia when sat around your tabletop.

A little prior knowledge about the show is helpful but far from necessary. All you need to know are the basics: in a distant star system and a far flung future, humans have developed the Cylons, robots that began as little more than slaves. Following an uprising by the Cylons, the human race is all but wiped out – only 50,000 or so remain, and so begins a search for a mythical safe haven called Earth. The game sees what little is left of humanity desperately fleeing from the Cylon fleet while attempting to deal with traitors in their midst... and it is amazing.

As play begins, everyone is given a character taken from the show. They each have their pros and cons,things that will assist you in your escape attempts as well as hinder you. A President and Admiral are chosen, depending on what characters are being used and the current chain of command. Players are also given a secret allegiance card that must never be revealed, stating whether they're a Human or Cylon. Once you have this, you know what you must do to win – Humans must make enough Faster Than Light Drive jumps to escape the enemy, Cylons must do all they can to inhibit this while not revealing themselves... for a while, anyway.

Each turn will see you draw Skill Cards from five different decks, move to a location on board the good ship Galactica (or perhaps the Presidential vessel, Colonial One, that remains alongside), perform an action and then resolve a Crisis Card.Each location offers the chance to do something different, so choosing the right one at the right time is vital; once you have suspicions, the Brig will be regularly used, for example! An action may also involve dealing with enemy ships that constantly seem to be attacking you, shifting civilian ships into safety or – as with the Brig - activating an area of Galactica in order to use that place’s ability.

The Crisis Card part of the turn is where things take a turn for the terrifying. Crisis, of course, can only mean bad things... it’s just that when it comes to Galactica, the bad side is a constant companion. Each card that is flipped has an issue that needs to be dealt with by all players, showing a numeric value that must be reached in order for the crisis to be averted. The Skill Cards that you take at the start of your turn can be contributed to a pile that,once everyone has had the chance to do so and two extras are added from a pre-constructed Destiny Deck, all will be revealed.

The different skills have their own colours and each Crisis requires the number to be equalled or bettered to pass the check; the additional two add in an element of chaos that could either be mere chance or the efforts of a Cylon player can choosing to hamper the work of the Humans. Of course, the fact that not everyone has to put cards in also adds an element of suspicion... You'll need to keep a watchful eye on everyone, remembering who played cards, who didn't, and not just during that turn. Tracking which Crisis cards fail and who was involved is the key to cracking the secrets behind each player; managing to do this is a vital skill to develop if you're looking to win.

Another spin to deal with: if things are getting too hot for the Cylon player, they can choose to reveal their true nature at any time during their turn. Rather than losing them the game, as you may expect, this actually makes it makes it even tougher for the Human players. The now revealed Cylon now gets the chance to screw with everyone else from afar, getting to choose from their own selection of actions and selecting from Super Crisis cards, each one more awful than the last. Sure, the Cylon players can do plenty of damage from the inside but once everyone knows who the bad guy is, things get an awful lot more aggressive.

It's a cruel, mean, evil, nasty, horrible and brilliant game. Dealing with a secretive player (or two, depending on how many are involved!) means that you're constantly on your toes, watching for something – anything – that may give someone else away. Every turn is a desperate fight for survival. Every card played is important. Every choice made is vital. The moment the Cylons choose to reveal themselves, the whole game changes from people walking on eggshells to a war of attrition, and that's what makes Battlestar Galactica such a great game.

Admittedly, you do need to have the right people around you, thekind of folks who aren't worried about offending each other byaccusing them of lying. It's actually pretty reminiscent of theclassic Diplomacy – leave your friendships at the door for a while,prepare for cut-throat nastiness, and shake hands when all is saidand done. Just watch out for those damn Toasters.

Stormonu

Legend
I have this and we've played it once - the humans managed to win, though it was by the skin of our teeth. It's a great game, but like most other FFG games, there's a lot to keep track of in the game, making it so easy to play the game wrong the first few times (we did a couple things wrong, the most glaring not mixing the played skill cards, so the Cylon player had a hard time effectively screwing with skill checks).

I'm curious how and what the Pegasus expansion brings to the game, has anyone here played it both ways?

Nytmare

David Jose
It's a great game, but like most other FFG games, there's a lot to keep track of in the game, making it so easy to play the game wrong the first few times

I'm curious how and what the Pegasus expansion brings to the game, has anyone here played it both ways?

Yeah, the first time we played it, we missed the part where you start the game with a Basestar and handful of raiders in front of the Galactica. Things are a lot easier if you play the game without seeing any Cylons.

I've played with Pegasus, and though I have Exodus, I haven't played with it. Pegasus adds both a Pegasus and Caprica game board, a handful of new characters (plus the chance to play as an exposed Cylon leader from the get go), a new assortment of crisis, quorum, destination, objective, and skill cards, new mechanics that allow for "sympathetic cylons" and (last but not least) everybody's favorite Cylon raider pilot Scar. In addition, the set comes with pretty plastic Basestars so that you can throw away those damn cardboard jobbies.

nerfherder

Explorer
I've never played it, but it's #1 on my list. I really want to play this game!

I played it at Gencon 2012 for the first time. I loved it so much, that I managed to get in another couple of games (including the usual "Hey, it's late on Sunday night - I can sleep on the plane home") :)

Jhaelen

First Post
I've played with Pegasus, and though I have Exodus, I haven't played with it.
Ditto. Our current preference is actually to use only part of the Pegasus expansion, i.e. we don't use the Cylon leaders, the Caprica board and the associated alternative ending.

Exodus offers three different additions/changes to the game: A cylon fleet board, alliances (muddying the lines between cylon and human factions further), and allies (basically npcs that you can interact with by visiting the locations where they hang around).
I'd love to use the fleet board, since I think it offers a better balance than the rather random cylon attacks of the base game, but so far my friends have been reluctant to add more material to the game. I'd be interested to eventually try the alliances, but the allies mechanism seemed a bit too fiddly to me.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I loooooove this game. I've only played about 5 times and I have yet to be a cylon and the humans have yet to win. But each game was down to the wire, which made it exciting despite losing. As Stormonu and Nytmare pointed out, it is easy to miss some rules. And it's worth checking the errata for it. In one of our games the humans might have won if we were following the errata.

vonhist

First Post
I bought all 3 boxes after watching some guys play at a local con. Cant wait to play it myself, which may
have to wait until Pax Australia.

Remove ads

Remove ads