• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board Game Suggestions

Woas

First Post
Junta! and Citadels are two fun games, along with the other good suggestions made above that I'd suggest.

Junta! can take a long time but is loads of fun. It has a lot of backstabbing and plotting against other people.

Citadels is more a card game, but not like Poker or Magic: The Gathering kind of card game. The game lacks a board is all. Pretty quick and easy to play but lots of twists as you try to build up your city using Character Cards to out-do your opponents.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Woas said:
Citadels is more a card game, but not like Poker or Magic: The Gathering kind of card game. The game lacks a board is all. Pretty quick and easy to play but lots of twists as you try to build up your city using Character Cards to out-do your opponents.

Yeah. Citadels is fantastic. Not a long game - more in the region of 45 minutes - but a great one.

Cheers!

Dr. Talos

First Post
Some suggestions if you are looking for a Risk or Axis and Allies type game.
Warrior Knights - by Fantasy Flight Games is a pretty good war game.
Settlers of Catan - Yet another nod for this game.
Tides of Iron - Also by Fantasy Flight is a great war game set in WWII
Powergrid - Is everything that Monopoly wishes it could be

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
tennyson said:
My group is bringing a 3 year D&D campaign to an end, and we're all pretty much burned out with that system. We're thinking that a nice pick-up board game would be just what the doctor ordered.

Can you guys suggest a game that has a decent length and can incorporate 5 players?

(. . .)

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

As some have mentioned, Shadows over Camelot is a game where five can play comfortably as allies against the clock/game itself. Also, once you have played a game or two, you can introduce the Traitor variant into the game it make it all fresh again. Should make for a full evening of gaming.

If you ever get bored with it, you can paint the minis for use in your D&D games and use the mini siege engines to have a kobold attack, too.

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
tennyson said:
My group is bringing a 3 year D&D campaign to an end, and we're all pretty much burned out with that system. We're thinking that a nice pick-up board game would be just what the doctor ordered.

Can you guys suggest a game that has a decent length and can incorporate 5 players? I was thinking something along the lines or Risk or Axis & Allies, where everyone is pitted against each other and the strategy is fresh throughout the game.

Additionally, we have a ton of D&D Miniatures, but we're thinking that a bunch of skirmish games would get boring soon. Has anyone come up with a system to keep that game interesting over, say, an 8-hour period?

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!
Depends on what you're in the mood for
The best six hour 5 player game I know is Die Macher. A cut throat game where you try to win an election. It is both adversarial and strategic.

If I am looking at world conquest, I liked Imperialism, though it's only a couple hours long. Atnike is pretty good too. Both use the rondel wheel.

broghammerj

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
Well, I think you have to go back and look at what the OP was asking for.

He wanted:

• A five player game
  • Competitive player against player
  • War theme
  • Longish game to play.
  • mentions miniatures and Ameritrashy games as possibilities he was considering

By the time you go through all of the requested features, I think you are left with Twilight Imperium 3rd ed and Game of Thrones which best satisfies his requested features that game should have.

He's in a D&D gaming group. The fantasy medieval themes in George RR Martin's Game of Thrones should go over well. And it is, most assuredly, a competitive strategy game with shifting elements from turn to turn that is perfect for five players.

I can't agree with Steelwind more. Game of Thrones was fun with just two players but really lends itself to more. Five would be great. It's simple, easy to understand along, and has a bit of a fantasy theme.

Twilight Imperium 3rd is fun but much longer. We would leave the board set up in someones basement and continue on another weekend if the game went long. I haven't played the expansion since I moved away from my previous group. Like Merric said...they have told me they wouldn't go back, but I really enjoyed the version I played prior to moving.

I would second shogun as a good, quick game. Also there are some Axis and Allies Expansion sets that are fun if you enjoyed the original. We found that the original Milton Bradly version lended itself to key strategic maneuvers. If you didn't perform the maneuvers you assured yourself of losing. Or conversely we would play to an eventual stalemate of stockpiling. Even if people switched from countries they enjoyed playing, the same tatics would be used. The game had become repetitive.

DonTadow

First Post
broghammerj said:
I can't agree with Steelwind more. Game of Thrones was fun with just two players but really lends itself to more. Five would be great. It's simple, easy to understand along, and has a bit of a fantasy theme.

Twilight Imperium 3rd is fun but much longer. We would leave the board set up in someones basement and continue on another weekend if the game went long. I haven't played the expansion since I moved away from my previous group. Like Merric said...they have told me they wouldn't go back, but I really enjoyed the version I played prior to moving.

I would second shogun as a good, quick game. Also there are some Axis and Allies Expansion sets that are fun if you enjoyed the original. We found that the original Milton Bradly version lended itself to key strategic maneuvers. If you didn't perform the maneuvers you assured yourself of losing. Or conversely we would play to an eventual stalemate of stockpiling. Even if people switched from countries they enjoyed playing, the same tatics would be used. The game had become repetitive.
Ah, didn't get the wartheme part. I'd also suggest starcraft and Exalted. Both have strong war themes and strong game mechanics. WAsn't too much a fan of game of thrones, though it only works with 5 players, so you may be in luck. Twilight takes a while to setup and a while to play. Though you'll have fun doing it.

Note

also try seraching boardgamegeeks.

Agamon

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:
Settlers of Catan is a great game - however, it is not a five player game without purchasing the expansions.

Twilight Imperium 3rd edition is also excellent - though on the long side. It also really needs the expansion rules to shed itself of some rules inbalancing in the basic version.

For five players, I would recommend Fantasy Flight Games' A Game of Thrones . It is a great game, strong theme, excellent strategy, fun and reasonably easy to learn. It is designed for (and plays best with) five players.

agotbg_board.jpg

The rules for the game are available off of the support link on the main game page link.

Yes, yes, and yes to these.

Also, Last Night on Earth is a really fun game, as well.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DonTadow said:
Depends on what you're in the mood for
The best six hour 5 player game I know is Die Macher. A cut throat game where you try to win an election. It is both adversarial and strategic.

One of the few games that really makes my head hurt. :)

Yeah, it's a great game, but I do feel like lying down afterwards.

Cheres!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads