• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bonds as Adventure Tie-ins

halfling rogue

Explorer
Just so we all know what we're talking about:

Bonds
Create one bond for your character. Bonds represent a character’s connections to people, places, and events in the world. They tie you to things from your background. They might inspire you to heights of heroism, or lead you to act against your own best interests if they are threatened. They can work very much like ideals, driving a character’s motivations and goals. Bonds might answer any of these questions: Whom do you care most about? To what place do you feel a special connection? What is your most treasured possession? Your bonds might be tied to your class, your background, your race, or some other aspect of your character’s history or personality. You might also gain new bonds over the course of your adventures.

After I reading about Bonds and seeing how the Bonds were used in the Starter Set pregens, I couldn't help but think this has to be the best mechanic for tying the PCs to their adventure.

I remember creating a character who wound up not really having anything in common with any other characters. It really didn't make much sense why we were all fighting monsters together or why we would all accept So and So's offer for adventure. Our DM tried a few times to tie in our backstories, but most of the time we just kind of ignored it and got our fight on. But now that we need to create a Bond for our character, this gives the perfect opportunity to give a reason why we are adventuring together. Before it was just an afterthought or ignored. Meet in a tavern. Now it's part of the rules.

Granted, each character could still choose individual bonds and everyone could still meet in a tavern. But now the DM has a tool to guide the players during character creation. I wouldn't mind just having all the players surrender their bond to the DM. Or maybe make it that every character chooses a personal bond and the DM chooses an adventure bond.

What would be some creative Bonds that groups could use to kick off an adventure?

jace

First Post
One thing I'm considering is stealing an idea from Numenera and adding a bond that links a PC to another PC in the party (this would be in addition to their normal bond). That creates some of the glue that binds an adventuring party together, by establishing the links they have to each other, to go along with the links they have to the world.

Rune

Once A Fool
jace said:
One thing I'm considering is stealing an idea from Numenera and adding a bond that links a PC to another PC in the party (this would be in addition to their normal bond). That creates some of the glue that binds an adventuring party together, by establishing the links they have to each other, to go along with the links they have to the world.

Dungeon World does this, too. In DW, resolving a bond (that is, evolving the relationship such that what the bond says is no longer true) is one if the few precious sources of XP. Then you make a new bond with someone (else or same) in the party. Ideally based off of developments in-game.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this with 5e. The framework is already there.

Fion

Explorer
Yes D&D finally steps into the modern era of PnP RPGs by introducing it's bonds/flaws/ideals system. Many other RPGs have done this kind of thing for years now, as per the examples above but also FATE, World of Darkness, and to an extent even Savage Worlds.

Just so we all know what we're talking about:

Bonds
Create one bond for your character. Bonds represent a character’s connections to people, places, and events in the world. They tie you to things from your background. They might inspire you to heights of heroism, or lead you to act against your own best interests if they are threatened. They can work very much like ideals, driving a character’s motivations and goals. Bonds might answer any of these questions: Whom do you care most about? To what place do you feel a special connection? What is your most treasured possession? Your bonds might be tied to your class, your background, your race, or some other aspect of your character’s history or personality. You might also gain new bonds over the course of your adventures.

After I reading about Bonds and seeing how the Bonds were used in the Starter Set pregens, I couldn't help but think this has to be the best mechanic for tying the PCs to their adventure.

I remember creating a character who wound up not really having anything in common with any other characters. It really didn't make much sense why we were all fighting monsters together or why we would all accept So and So's offer for adventure. Our DM tried a few times to tie in our backstories, but most of the time we just kind of ignored it and got our fight on. But now that we need to create a Bond for our character, this gives the perfect opportunity to give a reason why we are adventuring together. Before it was just an afterthought or ignored. Meet in a tavern. Now it's part of the rules.

Granted, each character could still choose individual bonds and everyone could still meet in a tavern. But now the DM has a tool to guide the players during character creation. I wouldn't mind just having all the players surrender their bond to the DM. Or maybe make it that every character chooses a personal bond and the DM chooses an adventure bond.

What would be some creative Bonds that groups could use to kick off an adventure?

Hoard of the Dragon Queen has 10 bonds relating to the adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads