• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book Recommendations

Bagpuss

Legend
The Sharpe series of books written by Bernard Cornwell. I recommend starting with "Sharpe's Rifles". They aren't fantasy but historical fiction, but they have an excellent pace to them and fantastic battle in every book.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Bob Aberton said:
I second, third, and fourth;) Garth Nix's "Abhorsen" series.

...The coolest magic system that ever was....

Despite my earlier Sabriel-bashing, I'll agree with this: the magic system is rockinly cool.

Talking cats, though.

:shudder:

Daniel

Tsyr

Explorer
A handfull more.

I know you said you didn't like Lackey, but I urge you to try "Bedlam's Bard"... it doesn't read at all like normal Lackey, and it's a GREAT take on modern fantasy, IMHO.

Micheal Moorcock, esp any of the Elric books, but most any of them are good.

It's sci-fantasy, but if you can get ahold of them, get the "Never Deal with a Dragon" series of Shadowrun books... very enjoyable, even for some people I know that didn't much like Shadowrun.

This one is not fantasy at all, but it's one of my favorite books of all time, so I'll suggest it anyhow... "Ender's Game", by Orson Scott Card. It's sci-fi, but very low-key sci-fi... half the time you can ignore the fact it's sci-fi at all, if that happens to bother you. It's a VERY good story, though a bit dark... I first read it when I was in I think 6th grade, and I got sick to my stomach in a few places the first time I read it.

brak1

Amateur Fortean
Darn. Lots of good suggestions here! Will be looking some of these up myself.

For my own two bits:

The Dark Tower saga by Stephen King. Quite the departure from his other works - although many threads from this are to be found throughout his novels. Roland is one of the best heroes of literature - fantasy or otherwise - IMHO. There are currently 4 books, starting with The Gunslinger. 2 more are due next year.

The Dune series - Well. The first three anyway.

Mirror of Her Dreams/A Man Rides Through by Stephen R. Donaldson. "Lighter" than his Thomas Covenant books, but a joy to read nonetheless.

Seconds on Kay, Zelazny, LeGuin, Wagner and Foster (Into the Out Of is one of my favorites).

I reccomend Michael Moorcock, if you haven't read his stuff before. Elric of Melnibone is probably his best known character, but the rest are memorable, at least, in my opinion.

ForceUser

Explorer
Guy Gavriel Kay. This writer will move you. Storytelling is a high art, and he's mastered it. Start slow with The Lions of Al-Rassan, then move on to A Song for Arbonne and The Fionavar Tapestry. When you've finished those, read his magnum opus, Tigana. Warning: keep tissue handy.

Another author I heartily recommend is Jack Whyte. His Camulod Chronicles is a gritty "What if?" look at the legend of King Arthur, wedging the tale between bouts of historical accuracy. The first book in the series, The Standing Stone, starts with Arthur's Roman grandparents. Whyte writes fantastic combats too.

Tsyr

Explorer
shadoe said:
Definately agree on Zelazny's Amber chronicles. Also I liked all of Orson Scott Card's Ender novels.

Strangely, as much as I love Ender's Game, I just can't seem to get into the other books in the series.

Grinning Loony

First Post
Yow! Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas! I went to the library and picked up the first few suggested, and we'll see. Some of the others mentioned (like Dune and The Once and Future King) I actually have read. I tried The Mists of Avalon once and couldn't get into it. I thought Ender's Game was alright, though the ending disappointed.

Thanks!

-Luke

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads