Books for inspiration

innerdude

Legend
Fighter or Cavalier, depending on your viewpoint:

Vaelin Al Sorna from Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. Pretty much the quintessential, "Grew up in a school for fighters" character, though his ability to ride horses gives him that "cavalier" feel as well. As a side note, though there are two sequels to this book, they're vastly inferior.

Chris Teel

First Post
Regarding Vaelin al Sorna...the added flavor of the blood song might make him more of a fighter/quarter-caster. At least in my opinion. I think that you could easily do a fighter base build for the young hawk with a little bit of casting. And then, using that same build, add some different skills for the other brothers. Anyway...yes, the two sequels are vastly inferior. I was so disappointed with QoF. The first book laid such a firm foundation to build on and it was squandered. Alas and alack.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Any kind of thieves' guild: Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom duology by Leigh Bardugo. It's YA, but if you ignore the stated ages of the characters it's some of the best fantasy thieves guild fiction I've ever read.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Cavalier or Knight: Mandorallen, from Eddings' Belgariad series.

If you're looking for fantasy character tropes, you could do a hell of a lot worse than the Belgariad series. It's basically a five-book love letter to fantasy tropes.

Jhaelen

First Post
Eddings also convinced me that it might be possible to have fun playing a Paladin. That code isn't as restrictive as it might at first seem...

Remove ads