• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Books of Swords

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
the Lorax said:
The players would feel like they had no choice and were being abused just for the DMs amusement.

My players would have you believing this was true, Swords of Power not withstanding... ;)

I think what I might do is something a little along the lines of the idea that these will be 'cheap knockoffs'. The dragons gained knowledge of a world that had these weapons and since they were all but destroyed on that world, they decided to create their own lesser, but still powerful weapons for their personal champions. I would start with a baseline of say, like you said, +4 Keen Longsword. Then each would have separate abilities based on the original weapon. Say for instance Sightblinder: true seeing, disguise self, and then maybe a penalty on hide and move silently checks.

I had thought that the original swords may be a bit too strong, even for epic play, but I guess I tried to 'presume' that the PCs would be more interested in the story than 'my sword can beat up your sword.'

I will probably have to resort to what I said and make more manageable versions of them and go from there. Now to decide what spells would emulate all of their powers...

Thanks all for your help and the links. Once I get around to finishing my versions of them, I'll think about posting them, if there's any interest.

the Lorax

First Post
Sure.
Once you decide upon a fixed power level, I am certain that we'd be happy to help design them especially if you find yourself stuck for ideas.

domino

First Post
For a cheaper variant of Sheildbreaker, try an adamantine longsword +# of slaying. Also gives the weilder the use of the improved sunder and combat brute feats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads