Boosting Spell DCs

Artoomis

First Post
I am continually frustrated by my targets making saving throws at critical moments. I'd like to boost my PC's DCs for spells by any legal means.

I have one feat selection available, and can get just about any magic item created (if it has been already published in some official 3.5 publication).

I know I can do Heighten Spell, but I'd rather do something that will simply boost DC and nothing else.

I also know to maximize my Charisma - and have already done so. I have a +5 Inherent Bonus and a standard +6 enhancement magic item.

Character is a 17th level Bard (with a couple of Prestige Classes that are irrelevant to this discussion). We tend to go against CR 20-21 challenges due to our power level being rather high.

We use Action Points (Eberron), so an Action-Point sort of feat would work, too, if one existed.

Any ideas? Perhaps a feat or magic item of which I am unaware? I do not want to go down the road of custom feats or magic items, though, I need something that WotC has published somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Old Drew Id

First Post
Code:
SPELL FOCUS [GENERAL]

Choose a school of magic.

Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic.

Also, at least in 3.0, there was a greater spell focus feat. Not sure if that made it to 3.5.

Also, there are some prestige classes that can increase the DC's of certain spells, but usually those are limited to a certain type, like Fire spells. I seem to remember a feat or two in the planes books that would do the same thing.

Pinotage

Explorer
The Ioun Stone that increase caster level is one idea. Or any other ability that increases caster level. I know there are a few feats that increase the caster level of certain spells.

There's a veil of allure in MIC that increases the DCs for enchantment spells by 2. The vest of the master evoker does the same for evocation spells 3/day.

Pinotage

mvincent

Explorer
Artoomis said:
I'd like to boost my PC's DCs for spells by any legal means.
Off the top of my head (from the core rules only):
- Spell Focus
- Greater Spell Focus
- Red wizard prestige class (not suitable for you though)
- Limited wish (-7 penalty on one saving throw)... I actually use this a lot at higher levels.
- Mind Fog
- Cause your opponent to be Shaken, frightened, panicked or Sickened
- Bestow Curse
- Use spells that don't require saves (like Otto's Irresistible Dance)

Ouside of the Core rules:
- owl's insight (spell compendium, +10 insight bonus)
- Necrotic Empowerment

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus. I was SURE I was overlooking something.

Only affects one school - but my best offensive spells with a saving throw are all in one school anyway.

Thanks.

Owl's Insight is good - but it's for Wisdom, not Charisma. Now if there was a similar spell that gave an Insight bonus to Charisma....

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Vow of Nonviolence from Book of Exalted Deeds adds +4 to the DC of all non-damaging spells vs humanoids, which include nonlethal damage spells.

Mastery of Dreams from Player's Guide to Eberron adds +1 DC to illusion and fear spells.

Shadow Weave Magic from Player's Guide to Faerun adds +1 DC to both illusion and enchantment spells.

Shape Soulmeld (Illusion Veil) from Magic of Incarnum adds +1 to the DC of illusion spells.

Tattoo Focus (DMG pg. 194) Adds +1 to DC for spells from specialized school

castro3nw

First Post
There's the Captivating Melody feat in Complete Mage. Blow a bardic music use to make a perform check/increases DC of illusion/enchantment by 2. Takes a swift action though, so might interfere with casting quickened spells.

Remove ads