D&D 5E Brain Golem - A Second-Edition Monster Redesigned for 5e

I'm blogging! I did an entry about brain golems, the weird mind flayer creations with weird and wonderful accompanying artwork. I put a new spin on these old monsters to give them more purpose to a mind flayer colony. Take a look:

Dire Bare

Legend
Dude. I like your twist on the brain golem, each component brain babbling it's insane and horrifying thoughts broadcast out for all to "hear". Much creepier than your run of the mill golem made of human brains . . . .

Nebulous

Legend
I like that Joseph. I feel like it needs one more ability though to reinforce its weirdness and horror. Maybe a one-shot Encounter power also along the lines of a psionic attack. Players are scared to death of one-shot powers because they never know if it's a recharge ability or spammable, so it keeps them on their toes.

Good idea Nebulous... what kind of power would this big crazy agglomeration of brains have? Maybe like a moment when they all shout in unison, causing big pain to everyone who can "hear" them?

Maybe something like this would fit the bill, Nebulous:

Dreadful Choir (Recharge 6).
The brains of the golem can occasionally work in unison to create a loud telepathic scream, usually in reaction to being threatened or frightened. As a reaction to taking damage, the brain golem may unleash a psychic scream. Up to five humanoids within 30 feet must make a DC 14 Intelligence saving throw or take 27 (5d10) psychic damage and be stunned. One a successful save, a target takes half as much damage and isn't stunned. If the target is killed by this damage, its head explodes. A stunned target can make a DC 14 Intelligence saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the stunning effect ends.

Nebulous

Legend
Maybe something like this would fit the bill, Nebulous:

Dreadful Choir (Recharge 6). The brains of the golem can occasionally work in unison to create a loud telepathic scream, usually in reaction to being threatened or frightened. As a reaction to taking damage, the brain golem may unleash a psychic scream. Up to five humanoids within 30 feet must make a DC 14 Intelligence saving throw or take 27 (5d10) psychic damage and be stunned. One a successful save, a target takes half as much damage and isn't stunned. If the target is killed by this damage, its head explodes. A stunned target can make a DC 14 Intelligence saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the stunning effect ends.

Hahaha, I love the exploding head bit!!! Got a Scanners-vibe there.

Nebulous

Legend
You might want to end the Stunned condition at the end of their next turn instead of continuing considerably difficult saving throws. I guess it depends on the level of badassery you want the brain golem to be.

Remove ads