Brainstorming help for a jedi oracle PC

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Hi everybody!
On Friday my group's going to start a new Star Wars game set when the Old Republic and the Jedi Order were just being formed. Our characters are all force users and I am going to play a sagely oracle who is adept in using the force but doesn't tote a lightsaber. (Akin to Yoda from Empire Strikes Back.)

Unfortunately I'm hitting a block for a backstory or unique twist to the character. Since my character is an oracle the GM has free reign to give me visions whenever he feels like it (primarily for use as a plot device), so that will be interesting to interact with. I've considered having my character watched over by a force spirit, like Obi-Wan was for Luke in A New Hope. That force spirit could be my character's master but I've also offered that the GM can make up the identity and have it a mystery for me.

If you have any ideas that might bring the character to life, please let me know! Thanks all!!

d2OKC

Explorer
What if he gets competing visions? Like, each time he has a vision, he gets two different "takes" on it. Sometimes that means there's a good and bad take. Sometimes there's two good takes. Sometimes two bad (meaning, he'll have to choose the lesser of two evils). Or maybe there's both. With either decision, something good will happen and something bad? This seems more interesting to me than just "receives visions".

What do you plan on doing with him while the others are in combat? Will he use telekinesis and stuff? Is he a pacifist, or does he just not have an aptitude with the lightsaber?

I like the Force spirit idea, too. But, what if he's the only one who can see it, and no one else has ever even heard of such a thing (as hinted at in Revenge of the Sith)? They'd think he was crazy and might not completely trust him when he says he's received a vision.

Just a few thoughts. Sounds fun! I've been wanting to play in a Star Wars campaign for a while, but don't have the time/group. Good luck!

Wednesday Boy

What if he gets competing visions? Like, each time he has a vision, he gets two different "takes" on it. Sometimes that means there's a good and bad take. Sometimes there's two good takes. Sometimes two bad (meaning, he'll have to choose the lesser of two evils). Or maybe there's both. With either decision, something good will happen and something bad? This seems more interesting to me than just "receives visions".

Ooo, I like that! I'm giving the GM free reign to do what he likes with the visions and how they work, so I'll pass this along to him!

What do you plan on doing with him while the others are in combat? Will he use telekinesis and stuff? Is he a pacifist, or does he just not have an aptitude with the lightsaber?

He's not a pacifist, just doesn't have an aptitude with the lightsaber. I've given him Force Training three times, so he'll be using force powers in combat. And I've made him a Noble/Jedi, so he'll be Leaderish and support for the other players.

I like the Force spirit idea, too. But, what if he's the only one who can see it, and no one else has ever even heard of such a thing (as hinted at in Revenge of the Sith)? They'd think he was crazy and might not completely trust him when he says he's received a vision.

That's not a bad idea. The initial talent that gives you a force spirit doesn't let the spirit manifest itself, so it'll be a disembodied voice. That meshes well.

Just a few thoughts. Sounds fun! I've been wanting to play in a Star Wars campaign for a while, but don't have the time/group. Good luck!

When do you think you could make it to Baltimore on Friday evenings? ;)

Wednesday Boy

I've developed the character a little more and this is what I've got going now.

My initial reaction for how an oracle would react to their visions was that they would use lots of caution and cast a strong eye towards interpreting it. (Probably because that's how I would react to having a vision.) Instead I'm going to take an opposite angle that the character would have real faith in his visions and actively use them to his advantage. I don't think he would be reckless but he believes that the force intends for him to become involved when he has these visions.

However, the tradition he comes from has the outlook that you don't influence events and as such it consciously sequesters itself from the galaxy. He's broken from that because of his different take, which is why he's mobile in the galaxy but his brethren are not.

I think this will mesh well with a force spirit mentor. Since the mentor holds the old beliefs, there could be some dissenting opinions and disharmony between the two.

d2OKC

Explorer
When do you think you could make it to Baltimore on Friday evenings? ;)

I'll see about fixing my work schedule. It might just be worth it for the Frequent Flyer Miles.

The biggest thing, it sounds like, is you need to really come up with a good personality for the mentor character. Something the DM feels comfortable playing, so that the back and forth between the two is entertaining (especially for the other people at the table) and moves the plot along each time. If the mentor has a cool personality (and maybe even a few secrets no one knows about), that could become a really cool idea.

And I like that he (or she?) would be a part of a larger order. It would be fun when the whole party is pulled into a struggle of theirs and comes to conflict with their passive stance on matters.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
My group plays in Winchester on Fridays so I know I can't scoot over to Baltimore for a game there too. :D

Are you playing SWSE?
What levels?

I did a Scoundrel/Jedi build in the Legacy Era that is my current character. He quickly became the face of the party.
Sacrificing battle skills for Force Powers and Bolstering his campaigns has been a good mix.
We have 2 Solider (Human & Cathar), 1 Pure Human Jedi, and 1 Droid/Solider with my Human Scoundrel/Jedi.
We've progressed up to the Master Levels so far, the Order finally accepting my guy as a full fledge member because of deeds done.
Using Battle Mediation, Improved Mediation, and Jedi Battle Commander he generally is a difference maker in those tight battles just by improving everyone.

What I really like about it though, is now that I've invested so many talents to it is he has garnered a fleet of his own. And with the Starships book, and talents those three now stretch out 12 starships squares.

Remove ads