D&D 3E/3.5 Brainstorming: Sir Stinksalot

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mechanically, I’ll note that Trog stench induces the “sickened”condition for those who fail (Fort) to save against it. Sickened characters take a -2 penalty to all of their subsequent saves, as well as all Att/Dam rolls, skill checks, and ability checks.

So Daunting Presence has an improved chance of being effective. So would Dreadful Wrath. And either could make him a bit scarier in melee.

Improved Multiattack would eliminate the attack penalties for his natural weapons.

This naturally begs the question: are there any feats that might increase the potency of Trog stink?

Edit: found Ability Focus, which adds 2 to the DC of saves versus Special Attacks, which Trog Stench is.

Virulent Poison does the same to poison attacks. On the one hand, it may have been intended for venoms or secretions, but OTOH, Trog Stench IS affected by magics or abilities that reduce poisons’ effectiveness or neutralize them completely.

Last edited:

Mechanically, I’ll note that Trog stench induces the “sickened”condition for those who fail (Fort) to save against it. Sickened characters take a -2 penalty to all of their subsequent saves, as well as all Att/Dam rolls, skill checks, and ability checks.
Edit: found Ability Focus, which adds 2 to the DC of saves versus Special Attacks, which Trog Stench is.

Trog Stench and Ability Focus were my first thoughts for a Sir Stinksalot build as well. The next tool I would add in: a (disposable) tower shield. You don't even need to take the feat to be proficient in it.

The basic tactic is to start combat in a pure support and meat shield role. Get yourself in the midst of the enemy, then hide behind the shield and stink up the place. Use whatever other defensive tools you have. The hope is to draw the enemey attacks away from the weak casters and glass cannon melee types, and provide a buff using stench. If enemies are still alive after a couple of rounds, you can drop the tower shield and go on the offensive.

The only thing I would note is that isn't necessarily a build specific to Paladins. Divine Grace and Aura of Courage do help out on this tactic a bit. But it could work equally as well for many fighter types.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Trog Stench and Ability Focus were my first thoughts for a Sir Stinksalot build as well. The next tool I would add in: a (disposable) tower shield. You don't even need to take the feat to be proficient in it.

The basic tactic is to start combat in a pure support and meat shield role. Get yourself in the midst of the enemy, then hide behind the shield and stink up the place. Use whatever other defensive tools you have. The hope is to draw the enemey attacks away from the weak casters and glass cannon melee types, and provide a buff using stench. If enemies are still alive after a couple of rounds, you can drop the tower shield and go on the offensive.

The only thing I would note is that isn't necessarily a build specific to Paladins. Divine Grace and Aura of Courage do help out on this tactic a bit. But it could work equally as well for many fighter types.
I like this, somewhat, but I’m concerned about the fragility of a warrior operating in flankable space, even with his AoE cloud.

Edit: OTOH, he kinda HAS to operate solo if he’s going to use his Trog Stink without taking out his own party. (Assuming no other troglodytes or poison resistant allies.)

So I might need to make him into some kind of Combat Reflexes build to prevent strong-stomached enemies from taking him down from his flanks.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also: just to fully expand the RP/Mechanicsl possibilities, what other base classes would you consider for a “knightly warrior” besides Paladin?*

Fighters & Knights are obvious. The PsyWar is just as likely an option as a Fighter, thematically, depending on the campaign setting.

Marshals and the aforementioned Dragon Shaman fit the bill, and their auras overlap nicely with the AoE of Trog Stink.

I can see Ranger for a knightly character who operates in the boundaries of the lands of the ruler who knighted him.

The various armored casters- Clerics, Duskblades, Bard, Hexblades, WarMages, Beguilers, and Battle Sorcerer work, though not all of them would work as well as the more melee-centric classes.

Did I miss any?

* To be clear, I want to keep the devotion to Pelor. I think that’s a solid RP base regardless of class. The exception would be if the PC’s actual class dictated otherwise- like being a Dragon Shaman instead of a Paladin. I intend to keep LG alignment regardless of class unless the alternative class prevents it.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Also: just to fully expand the RP/Mechanicsl possibilities, what other base classes would you consider for a “knightly warrior” besides Paladin?*

Fighters & Knights are obvious. The PsyWar is just as likely an option as a Fighter, thematically, depending on the campaign setting.

Marshals and the aforementioned Dragon Shaman fit the bill, and their auras overlap nicely with the AoE of Trog Stink.

I can see Ranger for a knightly character who operates in the boundaries of the lands of the ruler who knighted him.

The various armored casters- Clerics, Duskblades, Bard, Hexblades, WarMages, Beguilers, and Battle Sorcerer work, though not all of them would work as well as the more melee-centric classes.

Did I miss any?

* To be clear, I want to keep the devotion to Pelor. I think that’s a solid RP base regardless of class. The exception would be if the PC’s actual class dictated otherwise- like being a Dragon Shaman instead of a Paladin. I intend to keep LG alignment regardless of class unless the alternative class prevents it.
I like the idea of a Psy Warrior, because some of the Powers fits pretty well for a Trog:

1st level: Prevenom, Chameleon, My Light (aka a gift of Pelor), Metaphysical Claw (should you want to go with Natural Weapons)

2nd: Strength of my Enemy, Dissolving Touch, Wall Walker

3rd: Concealing amorpha, Exhalation of the Black Dragon (bad breath), Duodimensional Claw,

4th: Claw of Energy, True Venom

5th: Adapt Body

6th: Breath of the Black Dragon

All of them increase the thematic of a trog. You are a disgusting creature using their power further the cause of good. Pelor would not want you to hide your true nature in the shadow: embrace your trog nature and cast light upon it!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Pretty well thought out! Good ideas!

It wasn’t in my head before your suggestions, but now this old BÖC tune is dovetailing into the PsyWar version of this PC’s background & mentality…

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some Devotion Feats might work for this:

Knowledge Devotion
Knowledge Devotion – Feat – D&D Tools

With enough levels in certain KS, you get the functional equivalent of a Favored Enemy/Smite (up to +5 Att/Dam) you can use countless times against a huge variety of foes.

Sun Devotion
Sun Devotion – Feat – D&D Tools

Imbue your weapons with glowing holy Sun power. That would look COOL with natural weapons! The downside is the damage boost is minimal only +1/lvl- but the duration is 1min.

Healing Devotion
Healing Devotion – Feat – D&D Tools

Injured? Give yourself some Fast Healing. It automatically happens if you get knocked down to 0HP without getting killed, so it auto stabilizes. It’s also usable as an analogue to Laying on Hands.

The last two are at least related to Pelor’s Domains.

Last edited:

For no apparent reason, I thought today that what a Troglodyte really needs is a class that gives them Hide in Plain Sight. Assassin is probably the most obvious route. A dip into Shadowdancer could work, too.

The important thing is that the enemy is disabled by a terrible spell, but no one can figure our where it's coming from. Truly silent but deadly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like that! Not for this character, but…

Maybe as one member of a Trog-centric party, though.🤔

Add in a caster with Stinking Cloud, etc., and their enemies might think they’re surrounded by trogs! (Or fighting in a midden.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back to Sir Stinksalot…
Here’s the Underdark Knight:

Underdark Knight​

If you dedicate yourself to overcoming evil in the Underdark, you might find little use for the paladin's most prized ally, the special mount. By giving up the ability to call this devoted creature, you become a more mobile and effective fighter underground.

Level: 5th.

Replaces: This benefit replaces the special mount class feature.

Benefit: Whenever you are underground, you can draw upon the earth to gain the following abilities. At 5th level, your base speed increases by 10 feet, and you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on Balance, Climb, and Jump checks. You also gain low-light vision that functions as long as you remain underground. If you already had low-light vision, you instead gain darkvision out to 60 feet while underground; if you already had darkvision, add 30 feet to its range.

But in tracking that down, I just spotted the Holy Warrior variant Paladin:

Holy Warrior​

By giving up your spellcasting ability, you gain access to bonus feats much as a fighter does. This choice does not, however, close you off from divine influence - in fact, several of these feats actually increase your divine power.

Level: 1st.

Replaces: To select this class feature, you must sacrifice your spellcasting ability.

Benefit: You no longer gain spells as a paladin, but you can now select a bonus feat at 4th, 8th, 11th, and 14th levels. You can select any feat from the following list for which you meet the prerequisites: any divine feat, Cleave, Extra Smiting, Extra Turning, Great Cleave, Improved Smiting, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack, Skill Focus (Ride), Spirited Charge, and Trample. This is an extraordinary ability.

Special: A paladin who selects this path can no longer use scrolls, wands, or other magic items that require access to a spell list, unless she has another spellcasting class that grants access to the appropriate spells.

This variant could work very well for this PC who needs to be fighting “on an island”, as well as in the context of some of the feats I’m considering. Some depend on the amount of Smites or Turn Undead attempts the PC has. So gaining access to bonus ES or ET feats could be a nice boost.

Pelor’s Blessing is also an option:

Pelor's Blessing​

A lightbringer paladin excels at slaying the undead. When he channels energy to smite his foes, the power he summons proves doubly effective against the living dead.

Level: 3rd.

Replaces: Divine health.

Benefit: A lightbringer paladin who uses his smite evil ability against undead gains an additional +2 bonus to the attack roll and deals an extra 1 point of damage per two paladin levels. For example, a 13th-level lightbringer paladin armed with a longsword would deal 1d8+19 points of damage when using her smite evil ability against an undead, plus any additional bonuses for high Strength or magical effects that would normally apply. This is an extraordinary ability.

FWIW, the current top 3 classes I’m looking at- solo or MC- are some kind of Paladin, the PsyWar, and the Marshall.

Last edited:

Remove ads