• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Breach of Contract (Atari) re: D&D licensing

Fraud and Breach Complaint Filed Against Atari Over Dungeons & Dragons License - Yahoo! Finance

This could affect future D&D based videogames. Maybe getting this license out of Infogrames Entertainment/Atari's hands might be a good thing.
Of course it might also mean that there is, in fact, no D&D game in development at this time. (and this sublicensing agreement might be the reason for it?). And until the legal matters have been sorted out, that won't change.

elawai

Community Supporter
Of course it might also mean that there is, in fact, no D&D game in development at this time. (and this sublicensing agreement might be the reason for it?). And until the legal matters have been sorted out, that won't change.

Let's hope that there is a quick resolution to this court case then. Until the digital rights get into the hands of a company that really wants to make a new D&D game, I think there will be no 4e D&D computer game. Even in the best situation, I can't imagine seeing a new game until 2012 at the earliest.

Let's hope that there is a quick resolution to this court case then. Until the digital rights get into the hands of a company that really wants to make a new D&D game, I think there will be no 4e D&D computer game. Even in the best situation, I can't imagine seeing a new game until 2012 at the earliest.
I wonder if this thread shouldn't be better moved to General RPG Discussion. It might get missed easily and I suspect that it's something that interests the "General" RPG population.

jeffh

Adventurer
I wonder if this thread shouldn't be better moved to General RPG Discussion. It might get missed easily and I suspect that it's something that interests the "General" RPG population.

I, for one, was surprised not to see one there.

And yes, anything would be better than letting Infogrammes keep the license. It's downright stupid that no 4E-based game has been announced to date.

LightPhoenix

First Post

Regardless of interest, it's concerning the D&D license as it applies to video games, and would be most appropriate here. If people are interested in D&D video games, they're probably already reading this sub-forum anyway.

Bigwilly

First Post
This court case has been going on for a while between Turbine and Atari. DDO Europe has been badly affected with many players (myself included) heading to the greener pastures of Turbine's Free2Play servers in the US.

With WotC / Hasbro finally getting involved, european players are hoping for some good news (either F2P and Turbine store in EU if Codemasters keep european support or a transfer to the US if Turbine takes over).

This court case has been going on for a while between Turbine and Atari. DDO Europe has been badly affected with many players (myself included) heading to the greener pastures of Turbine's Free2Play servers in the US.
That's possible? I never could register an account on the US website. :(

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Or maybe, it is a given fact, that Atari signed a 10 year deal back in 2007, to be the holder of the IP gaming (video game) license. Until 2017.

It is indicated that Wotc or Hasbro, have been in talks, for the last several months for some type of resolution to whatever matters they wanted to resolve. And nothing came of it.

Generally, I suspect that Hasbro wanted out of it, and Atari probably said, 'No', cause much money was spent on the license fees, back in 2007, for the 10 year deal.

Despite the lack luster of (making) games or good titles to bring in the good dollars.

I suspect, it was the last hold over, on who had the license outside their comfort zone. Keep in mind, before 4E came about, there was a 'withdraw' of outside licenses from publishing companines back then.

This is this technically the last one, a major one to boot. So...all this talk of 'breach' of contract, maybe a smoke screen, for Hasbro trying to break that last major hurdle, and of course, hit a roadblock.

A deal is a deal, signed for, and paid for...upfront. If there is outstanding proof, of it being broken on the part of Atari, then it shall be proven in court.

The clue pointed out was on the premise, that they said, they were talking for months, (in this year or the last). Trying to reach some level of understanding or settlement...of the matter.

But with Hasbro/Wotc's track record, going back to the beginning of when Wotc was takenover by Hasbro, and then followed the licenses being 'sucked' back after that process. And then the deal in 2007, with Atari back then, and now this...

This is my conclusion, as I see it. Bad game, or no game, side deal or no side deal, if done by accident or intent.

This is what the truer picture, I do see.

And here is a link to the history of what games with the D&D IP, going back to 1975.

And finally to add, for all the D&D type-emulated games that have existed, the main D&D games, haven't been smash hits to the my memory.

There is no game I can recall, that has been a total sucessful, that has stayed on the gamer's mind, for the last several years.

WOW, Everquest, Ultimate, Final Fantasy, Guild Wars (as examples), to me...has been ongoing titles, that been successful franchies, since their release.

Where is D&D staying power (and I don't count the latest from Turbine), throughout this?

Others have taken it, and made the theme more successful, in tha last 10 years or more.

Not saying TSR, then Wotc squander the time to make a true impact, and create a true staying power to keep the IP as a franchise in people minds.

It is just the fact...others have beating them to it, and is quite ahead, far ahead, that honestly...making a game now, with reference to the IP (4E included), will not have the staying power, they are seeking and looking for.

Honestly, it will take frakkin' miracle, a miracle...to change that slide around.

Most of you guys have played many PC games before me, be honest...do you see that 'staying power' ever existing in the current climate, with what is out now?

Peace.

Remove ads