Break Enchantment

d(sqrt(-1))

First Post
Break Enchantment says:

"can reverse even an instantaneous effect, such as Flesh to Stone..."

and:

"If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if the spell is 5th level or lower..."

but:

Flesh to Stone is a 6th level spell, so does BE remove it or not?

cheers,

Mark

rurbonas

First Post
Good eye! I hadn't noticed that before. I'm afraid I don't have a solid answer for you, though.

I thought that this might be an editing issue left over from the 3e to 3.5e conversion process, but it's written in the same way in the 3e PHB, so that's not the cause. If you're a community supporter, you might want to try searching the old posts to see if anyone came to a satisfactory answer under the 3e rules.

If you find a good, solid answer, be sure to post it. Your question has really piqued my interest.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Break Enchantment
Abjuration
Level: Brd 4, Clr 5, Luck 5, Pal 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Casting Time: 1 minute
This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses. Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect. For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect. Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect. For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.
If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.
If the effect comes from some permanent magic item break enchantment does not remove the curse from the item, but it does frees the victim from the item’s effects.

Personally I read it as the example being slightly wrong - instead of Flesh to Stone it should say "petrification". This would jive with the rest of the description.

Break Enchantment ends any Enchantment, Transmutation, or Curse effect, except from spells not subject to Dispel Magic of 6th level or higher.

We rule that any SU or Spell-like effect can be removed no matter the 'level'. Only spells are covered by the waiver (and then only spells not subject to Dispel Magic).

dcollins

Explorer
d(sqrt(-1)) said:
Flesh to Stone is a 6th level spell, so does BE remove it or not?

This has been discussed on the boards before. Partly this is a classic 3.5 editing glitch: in 3.0 the second phrase you quote originally said "If the spell is one that, as a special property, cannot be dispelled by dispel magic..." That is, the clause is supposed to get triggered only by a spell that explicitly states that it's immune to dispel magic (e.g., wall of force, etc.)

So answer should be "yes". It was much clearer in 3.0.

Remove ads