Break my game: Indestructible sword at level 1

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but you may be able to sucker your foe into trying to sunder YOUR (indestructible) weapon, in kind of an "Oh yeah, let's see how YOU like it!" type of thought.

This means 2 things: 1) he's not attacking you or anyone else for damage and 2) if he keeps trading sunder attempts, he WILL lose eventually.

Haltherrion

First Post
True, but you may be able to sucker your foe into trying to sunder YOUR (indestructible) weapon, in kind of an "Oh yeah, let's see how YOU like it!" type of thought.

This means 2 things: 1) he's not attacking you or anyone else for damage and 2) if he keeps trading sunder attempts, he WILL lose eventually.

As other's have noted it means, first off you are playing in a system that allows sundering and second, that sundering actually gets used with enough frequency that that failed sunder attempt is noteworthy.

It is highly system and style dependent but for any game I've ref'd or played in in the last 20 years, it wouldn't really make any difference, aside from color.

Now, if there was something the party needed to do with such an item like deal with a sphere of anhilation or some such, maybe it might be more interesting but unless they knew they had to find something indestructible, it isn't likely to motivate any players I know to go after it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It WOULD also make the perfect adventurer's pokestick. And there is the possibility I might use it as a wedge to keep a ceiling from coming down, a wall from closing in, and other forms of cog-jamming sabotage.

Janx

Hero
As other's have noted it means, first off you are playing in a system that allows sundering and second, that sundering actually gets used with enough frequency that that failed sunder attempt is noteworthy.

I think that's a null argument. By virtue of using the word Sunder, he's pretty much saying "in a D&D 3.x game"

From there, DA's saying he would sunder ALL the freaking time, if he could. I assume he'd optimize a PC for it.

pawsplay

Hero
So, you have the prybar of the gods. Need to open a magically sealed vault? Rig a lever with an elephant at one end and this sword as the fulcrum.

Sundering volcanoes seems like a potentially useful scenario.

Jeweler's paste + delayed blast fireball = special present for your new friend.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Seriously, if i were really worried about my sword being destroyed, I'd have to consider:

A) dangerous and difficult quest to get an indestructible sword, or

B) spend 15 gp on a spare sword in case my main one breaks.

Remove ads