• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bring all your pettiest complaints about the playtest

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Here are mine.

No spells that impose INT or CHA saves.
And most importantly...

Shocking Grasp isn't a taser fist anymore. Where the melee touch attack?!

nightwalker450

First Post
Yeah I don't know why they're stepping away from Fort/Ref/Will, because there are mainly going to be two problems resulting from this.

- It will be hard to find spells that target certain stats
- When there is a spell that targets one of those hard to find stats it will have to be fairly weak since it would likely be an instant hit. (ie. Int/Cha)

Salamandyr

Adventurer
#2 isn't a petty complaint. It's bad advice. I can't count the number of times this has happened.

Me: (rolls a 3, adds ridiculously large skill modifier) 37.

DM: looks a the 3 on the die..."eeeeehhhh, you almost make it, but it's fail".

Too often it's just a recipe for "roll higher than a 10" to succeed. Might as well not even have skills at that point.

pauljathome

First Post
[URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] isn't a petty complaint. It's bad advice. I can't count the number of times this has happened.

Me: (rolls a 3, adds ridiculously large skill modifier) 37.

DM: looks a the 3 on the die..."eeeeehhhh, you almost make it, but it's fail".

Too often it's just a recipe for "roll higher than a 10" to succeed. Might as well not even have skills at that point.

For a home game its actually pretty good advice. I know roughly what the modifiers are for all the characters in the game that I run (at least for commonly used skills) and have a fairly good feel for what the circumstance modifiers would be. I'll often look at the D20 roll and only start really thinking and calculating if it is in the fuzzy area.

Note : Fuzzy area varies a LOT. Sometimes it is "Unless the dice roll is at least 16 or so I KNOW they failed". Sometimes it is "Unless the roll is lower than 5 or so I KNOW they succeeded".

I'm essentially never as much as 5 off what I estimate once we do all the math on both sides of the table.

Melhaic

First Post
SILVER STANDARD!!! Sorry to echo late 19th century populism, but YOU SHALL NOT CRUCIFY MANKIND (or elven, dwarven, etc.) ON A CROSS OF GOLD!

Yeah, I can and will house rule it just like I always have. It was just soooo disappointing to see that disappear from the initial promises. If that ain't petty (and my rant obscure) I don't know what is.

Remove ads