D&D 5E Bugbears & Borderlands Updates!

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's been a while since the last update. I think we're on the final stretch now of being complete. The release of the expert playtest really helped identify the go-forward approach in 5e, and so making a basic version that aligns somewhat with those philosophies is achievable.

There are several minor changes throughout the books, but the big changes were to the Fighter and Expert classes. Fighting Styles (fighter) and specialties (experts) help give some flexibility while keeping it simple. Think sub-class lite. And some player-friendly things were added (like pre-generated spell lists based on archetype).

I've also recently gotten back new artwork for the GM's guide. I felt it deserved a custom commission rather than stock art or AI art, and I wanted a 4th wall approach to it.

You can download the player's guide here and see the changes.

BandB 6by9 cover mockup.jpg

Riley

Legend
Nice! I like your page layout on the 6x9. Very easy to print out just the relevant pages for a new/young player's class and race, and not overwhelm them with the pages that don't apply to their character.

I also approve of your new "Expert" class. Any chance of adding a Ranger-tinged Expert Specialty, or is that a bridge too far?

(My reaction to the new playtest's Ranger was, "Well, I guess I'm going to keep reskinning a Rogue as a Ranger.")

Thanks!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Nice! I like your page layout on the 6x9. Very easy to print out just the relevant pages for a new/young player's class and race, and not overwhelm them with the pages that don't apply to their character.

I also approve of your new "Expert" class. Any chance of adding a Ranger-tinged Expert Specialty, or is that a bridge too far?

(My reaction to the new playtest's Ranger was, "Well, I guess I'm going to keep reskinning a Rogue as a Ranger.")

Thanks!
Yeah, the scout expert is pretty much ranger-lite. Extra movement, bonuses to stealth, and ability to wear up to medium armor without penalty.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The hardcovers look great!
I know! I was originally just going to do the 8.5x11 softcover to keep costs down, but I really like how the 6x9 color hardcovers look. It kinda blows my mind that the red player's option book is all a player needs, and it's so small lol. No lugging around books for sure!

tsadkiel

Legend
While I think about it, a quick question/clarification about Divine Wizards - after choosing the Divine magical bond, hit dice become d8s going forward, so the hit points from previous levels are unchanged, yes?

Riley

Legend
I know! I was originally just going to do the 8.5x11 softcover to keep costs down, but I really like how the 6x9 color hardcovers look. It kinda blows my mind that the red player's option book is all a player needs, and it's so small lol. No lugging around books for sure!
You'll let us add on player's books in the KS, right?
And... any idea when you might be ready to go with this?

Last edited:

Remove ads