Build Me a Minotaur

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Okay, I am joining a Planescape game. We are level 5, and the GM says we have to have some sort of artisan type proffession skill. My character is a Krynn Minotaur (not a Monster Manual Minotaur).

But I am not sure what I want to do with him.

I know I want to be a warrior of some type, but I would like to see some suggestions.

Duskblade and Warblade are both looking tempting to me, but any other builds would be great as well. If you can convince me to take another class, you have done a great build!

Some rules: we have no starting equipment, which means that skills to make your own equipment may be useful (and will also fulfill the "artisan skills" requirement).

Stats were roll 4d6 take out the lowest. i got lucky.

18, 17, 15, 14, 12, 10. Yes, I know-- that is pretty darn good!

Also, Krynn Minotaurs are seafaring folk, and I was considering the harpoon as a weapon, and would want profession sailor.

Alright-- ready set go!

szilard

First Post
Hmmm... Krynn Minotaurs have a negative modifier to Int, yes? Both Duskblade and Warblade depend on Int... with your stats, you could do it, but why not build on your strengths rather than weaknesses?

I'll give it some thought.

-Stuart

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Originally I was going to go for a Human warblade, with a character similar to mad martigan from Willow. The 18 was going to go into Intelligence, the 17 into STR!

You may have a point there... Maybe I could go Cleric instead, or some sort of holy class....

Hmmmm.... Maybe I could make another Favored Soul! That'd be sweet!

So, what are the Krynn Gods that have to do with the Sea/and or Minotaurs?

Darklone

Noooo barbarian??? Are you sure? Ah well, those Krynn minotaurs don't charge as nicely.

Go Pirate. Ftr/Rog or Bbn/Rog, the classic way. Watch Pirates of the Carribean three times and then read the Conan stories.

Favored Soul... after one level of barbarian? Add some nice charge feats, Power Attack, Cleave...

Complete Warrior has that nice trident fighting style... one weapon for throwing, TWF, piercing, blunt and everything you want of a weapon. And it's a stylish weapon for a sailor/pirate.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Here is what I am thinking. Asking the GM if I can use the "Generic" warrior from Unearthed Arcana, mainly because they can choose skills and fighter does not get profession, which is laughable.

A harpooner, who uses the Brutal Throw feat and Quick Draw to throw multiple weapons on a full attack action.

If I ever get myself an Immovable Rod, attaching it to the line of my harpoon might be a fun thing to do (you're not going anywhere!)

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I am in a planescape game, and one guy plays the MM minotaur. I know nothing of Krynn stuff.

He made it using the Savage species progression and then went Psychic Warrior and the Elocator.

Basically, a nice charge build.

FYI, the Lady of Pain doesn't like Minotaurs... they are immune to Maze :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of the most fun PCs I ever ran was a (2Ed) Minotaur F/MU...

Instead of the usual build, I posited a tribe of Minos with a Plains Indian style culture.

The PC's weapons, thus, were a Large bow, Large club, and a similarly upscaled pair of hand-axes. That large bow was naaaaasty.

To replace their dependence upon riding horses, they were charioteers instead.

So...is there a particular archaic culture you identify with moreso than others? If so, take it and shoehorn your Mino into a version of it. You'll have a blast for sure!

With all of the new stuff in 3.X, you'll have a huge number of options for the build, too.

What books besides the core and the planescape stuff are y'all using?

matthewajg

First Post
You want a minotaur? You got it!

If you want a really bad ass minotaur with some great "flavor", look nowhere else but at the MASTERS & MINIONS book at Behemoth3: http://www.behemoth3.com/

They have presented a number of minotaur options, and the fluff is as good as the crunch! :D

Remove ads