Building an Ogre War Hulk bad guy

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm trying to design an Ogre War Hulk to be a pretty tough NPC for my PCs. I'm making Ogre War Hulks sort of a common unit in my campaign's evil empire.

I'm wondering a few things.

1. I want the ogre war hulk to be at least semi-disciplined, as it is a military unit that serves a master. Would it be inappropriate to give it levels of Barbarian?

2. What sort of weapons would it have? In particular, where can I find info on large-sized weapons, particularly some exotic ones. I'd like to give it some sort of massive throwing axe or perhaps something a bit more wicked.

3. I'd like the war hulk to be mounted. What would be a suitable mount? Something reasonably mobile...

4. Finally, any advice on some cool tactics to really challenge my players. I want to create an encounter that really showcases these as massively strong, powerful BBEGs. I could see throwing 2-3 at the party, perhaps aided by some spellcasting master. I need to challenge a party of 6 8-level characters. Combat woudl likely be outdoors in a relatively open area, but that could be modified.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I think maybe a contruction would be a good riding mount.

Chariot could also be interesting, pulled by some hell hounds or nightmares. Chariot gives you height advanage and weapon mounts (large size crossbow, number of spears), spiky wheels.

Last edited:

Anti-Sean

First Post
johnsemlak said:
3. I'd like the war hulk to be mounted. What would be a suitable mount? Something reasonably mobile...

Maybe it's just me, but a triceratops would be sooooooo awesome :) Huge Animal, Speed 30, +20 Attack for 2d8+15 damage (4d8+20 with Powerful Charge), Trample for 2d12+15... *drool*

I love the visual, but if dinosaurs aren't your thing or don't fit into your setting, an Elephant is comparable to the Triceratops - a little faster at Speed 40, lower AC, no Powerful Charge, slightly less Trample damage & a few less hit points.

If you want to add some more hurt to your players, use a few squad leaders with 4+ levels of Marshal from the Miniatures Handbook to give your War Hulk Cavalry an extra move action or two. :)

oh man, now I need to start running a game, just to have Ogres riding Triceratopseses :)

Edit: added Elephant speed and Marshal suggestion

Last edited:

Neil Aitken

Explorer
Hmm...

I was thumbing through the MM and noticed that the Lycanthrope template can be applied to Giant type as well. Suddenly I was picturing your War Hulks riding Hill Giant Were-Dire Boars with a few fighter levels.

Boy would that be a surprise for the PCs :D

Especially if the "mounts" also had Awesome Blow and switched to hybrid form -- then they could swat the PCs back and forth between them :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
johnsemlak said:
1. I want the ogre war hulk to be at least semi-disciplined, as it is a military unit that serves a master. Would it be inappropriate to give it levels of Barbarian?

Yes. Levels of Warrior indicate such training and discipline, not levels of Barbarian. Those only make it less disciplined! ;)

Cheers!

Perhaps give them 1 level of barbarian for the rage ability they could fly into when appropriate. Then let them take warrior or fighter levels for then on.

I triceratops would look pretty cool by the way. Perhaps make some sort of dragon-like creature, like the mock dragon from cc1, for their mount.

Blue Chitne

First Post
Caspian Moon Prince said:
...... Perhaps make some sort of dragon-like creature, like the mock dragon from cc1, for their mount.

the CC1 is a great book---the cave triceratops from the minatures handbook would probably fit the bill for a 'less powered' sarah (as my 4yr old daughter calls 'em)---u could also apply the warbeast template to 'em as well.

Hmmm, if u increased their intelligence, the narleth would be a nasty war hulk---add the PRC vermin rider from Plot & poison---u would have some nasty cavalry; though, they may be more suited for drow than ogres :heh:

I may have to draw one of them--- :\

johnsemlak

First Post
Mmm, a triceratops or elephant might make a good mount. I'm ok with reasonably exotic mounts, one of hte PCs last enouncters was an attack by three fighters mounted on Axe Beaks.

Remove ads