Building Your Own Gaming Table?

Dragon Snack

First Post
I bought 2 4'x8' sheets of dry erase board, a couple of 2x4's, and a pair of fold up legs with the ultimate plan of building a gaming table. Still haven't gotten around to it yet...

Wulf Ratbane said:
How wrong is it that I want to buy a new HOUSE specifically so that I can build my gaming table/game room?
I bought my new house partly due to the finished basement that became my gaming room...

Frost

First Post
Actually, the only thing I've managed to post to my little Web site deals exactly with this subject. Check it out:
Cheap Gaming Setup 101

As others have mentioned, unless you're really into building stuff, you're better off getting a few folding tables from Sam's Club. If you are really cheap like me, check Craig's List.

As for gaming surfaces, I haven't gotten around to writing that article yet. ;) However, check out the Flickr link in my signature and you'll see what a cheap piece of shower board from Home Depot will get you. You can get a 4 ft. x 8 ft. dry erase surface for about $11.00. If you want a permanent grid, buy a drywall t-square and an exact-o knife. The drywall t-square is a jumbo t-square and the long leg of it is a ruler. Then use it and the exact-o knife to etch out the grid. It took me about an hour to do. I don't think there is another way to put a permanent grid on it. I tried using an industrial strength Sharpie, but no luck. I have heard that eventually the shower board will stain. However, given that it is only $11.00, it's fairly cheap to replace. Personally, I have doubts that mine will ever be so bad that I will need to replace it. Also, I have found that, surprise, shower cleaner removes stains nicely.

p.s. Photos of my table are also posted to the Gaming Spaces Flickr group.

Last edited:

Frost

First Post
I bought a 4 x 8 piece of shower-board at Home Depot for about $11 and scored it with a grid. I works just like white board and is fantastic. Granted, getting that big piece home was a pain, but in hindsight, I'm sure they would have cut it down for me. A dry wall T-square is a great help with the scoring...

I wrote a blog about how to make a cheap table here...

http://dungeoneeringdad.googlepages.com/gamingsetup101:thetable2

566032214_d2eb1a3737.jpg

566032206_6464f806de.jpg

Last edited:

Quintegamer

Explorer
Wow nice game room Monte!

We use a 6' x 4' dining table from the 40's for our game room. We're in the process of having a new surface for it built with supports that will make it 6' x 6'. I sit at a desk at one end of the table. With 6' on each side, we'll be able to comfortably sit 6 players, have about 4' x 4' in the center for minis & maps and everyone will be able to see. I'll be sure to post pics when the new surface is done.

CPezet

First Post
Reading this thread and looking at some of these pictures has got me in the mood to try and make a gaming table of my own.

Making a truly awesome one will take a lot of time and effort, but boy will it be worth it in the end :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases