D&D General Busted

Zardnaar

Legend
Last night I got caught out.

I had a hulking bronze sentinel in the desert missing a power source. Think huge sized iron golem.

The PCs had found an almost depleted power source and got it. I let them get in it kinda like fallout 4 power armor or Ironman.

Of course the power runs out in a day or two.

The Bronze Sentinels stats? Refluffed Fire Giant with stoneskin effect to count as a "construct".

One of my players wants to DM and another is an inexperienced DM. He wasn't aware of this trick, I picked it up in the mid 90s via Spelljammer. Basically SJ gave an example of changing a critters physical description.

It's just something I kind of took for granted. Old trick but yeah one of them commented that he'll have to start doing it.

MarkB

Legend
Reskinning is a time-honoured tradition. The favourite example from my campaign was when I made a winter-themed hags' lair, and wanted to put in some giant animated snowmen. I used shambling mounds, and just switched out their damage resistances and vulnerabilities (i.e. vulnerable to fire, healed by cold). For their Engulf ability, I narrated them as simply rolling right over a PC like a cartoon giant snowball, and changed the damage dealt each turn from bludgeoning to cold.

dave2008

Legend
Last night I got caught out.

I had a hulking bronze sentinel in the desert missing a power source. Think huge sized iron golem.

The PCs had found an almost depleted power source and got it. I let them get in it kinda like fallout 4 power armor or Ironman.

Of course the power runs out in a day or two.

The Bronze Sentinels stats? Refluffed Fire Giant with stoneskin effect to count as a "construct".

One of my players wants to DM and another is an inexperienced DM. He wasn't aware of this trick, I picked it up in the mid 90s via Spelljammer. Basically SJ gave an example of changing a critters physical description.

It's just something I kind of took for granted. Old trick but yeah one of them commented that he'll have to start doing it.
Are you talking about re-skinning a monster?

Remove ads