• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C22, a deckbuilding RPG system

c22system

Villager
I made a system that uses playing cards and deckbuilding to create a resolution system that grows with you. Imagine if you could change the numbers on your d20. Do you want to your new highest number to be a 21 or do you want two 20s, or maybe you don't want any more nat 1s. Now that is all well and good, but take it a step further and make it so whether you roll odds or evens matter for the situation just as much as the number value itself. Once you do that, there is a lot more to think about. Suits on cards allow for many more character building considerations.

Here's how it works:
You have a deck of 22 cards that represents your character. This deck is used to make all checks within the game. A very balanced level 1 character’s starting deck of cards should consist of all four 2s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 8s and both jokers from the deck of playing cards. The Red joker is a number value of 14 and any suit. The Black Joker is a 0 and no suit.

To perform a Skill Check you draw cards from the top of your draw deck until a number card is reached.

In an encounter, whether it is combat, or another intense situation. You draw two cards at the start of your turn and you use those two cards to craft your turn. The suits matter a lot here as they allow you to use specific maneuvers, or cast different types of magic.

In either case, when you draw a Joker, you finish the current action, and shuffle your discard pile into your deck and the deck essentially resets.

Card Upgrades
When you perform a card upgrade, choose one of the following options:
  • Remove a card then add one card whose value is one greater (You can stack your deck with a particular suit here)
  • Add a jack.
  • Remove a Jack, add a Queen
  • Remove a Queen and add a king
These are very basics. What do you think? Do the cards add enough to justify using over dice?

I am more of a visual person so I attached the character sheet so those like me can see a bit how all the pieces come together.

If you want to know more, just ask below or check out the site with the full set of rules: The Basics about a C22 system — C22
If you want to try it out, there are two tutorial adventures, one tactical adventure called Missfortunate Morning, and one Sci-fi heist on the site c22system.com if you click the Play the Free Adventures! button.
If you want to get the tactical adventure some other way, you can go to Drivethru - Missfortunate Morning

Attachments

• C22 Blank Character Sheet.pdf
    761 KB · Views: 186

Remove ads