D&D General C7D20 Design Goals from Cubicle 7

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I wonder if this is the form that Vault 5E has now taken.
Sort of -- they're still releasing Uncharted Journeys but also including probably just the core journey rules in their Gamemaster's Guide, putting them in the strange position of competing with their own product. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go, myself, as I want those rules, but I also want all the other goodies they appear to be importing from AiME.

I find it extremely interesting that they're not launching with a monster book. I suspect they'll be watching to see how well the Project Black Flag monster book does. Kobold Press has a great reputation for monster books, but the PBF monster book will presumably be a lot of SRD monsters, which most groups already own.

Even if I don't end up switching wholesale to C7d20, which I don't anticipate doing, I look forward to mining the Gamemaster's Guide especially for rules modules to include in my games.

Laurefindel

Legend
I wonder how much of this and Kobold Press' Black Flag is directly provoked by the WotC's OGL fiasco, and how much was already 'in the work' before 2023

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I wonder how much of this and Kobold Press' Black Flag is directly provoked by the WotC's OGL fiasco, and how much was already 'in the work' before 2023
The Vault series was already underway, as they'd successfully Kickstarted Uncharted Journeys when the OGL poop hit the fan. With what they know now, they seem to be pivoting and putting all of their AiME stuff into these two books. We'll see if sales of Uncharted Journeys endorse the other AiME rule systems getting their own standalone volumes.

darjr

I crit!
It’s likely both these companies knew about the OGL deauthorization much earlier than the general public did. It’s a fact that some, likely these two among them, were given advanced warning because WotC tried to talk them into a “sweetheart” deal.

@Laurefindel

Remove ads