• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Call for writers and artists for Cthulhu Monograph

Hi all,
This is an open call for writers and artists who love to write/illustrate and/or love Cthulhu. I'm currently putting my long standing home game setting into production and am looking for artists and writers to assist me. I'm a map artist by trade so I'll be doing that (although still happy to listen to other cartographers) but I'm not a writer so I need help. We already, prospectively, have one writer on board but we need more.

The setting

Cthulhu Adventus is a dark and gritty cthulhu setting and focuses on the people rather than the monsters. It's 300 years after a cataclysmic disaster and mankind has pulled itself back up to some resemblance of civilisation called 'The Polity'. It holds humanity in an iron grip in a velvet glove and commands all of it's dreams and hopes. Earth has mostly reverted back to a frontier, unexplored state and is reasonably uncivilised outside western and central europe and the eastern US. Players play 'guardians' and seek to root out subversives of all kind both real and imagined. If you're a movie fan it's best to describe the setting as: 50% Call of Cthulhu, 30% Equilibrium/1984, 10% Stargate, & 10% Starship troopers (with a little of 'Logan's Run'!).
The main monsters are humans (with Mi-Go, Ghouls and Deep Ones) who consistently send the unwanted 'subversives' through gates to the court of Azathoth. This book will contain very mature themes including genocide, racism, predjudice, blasphemy, rape and casual murder and it's not suitable for those under 18 to apply for this posting (I warn you now). Just as disturbing, this game will presuppose the pc's will be part and parcel, even willing adherants to such policies as the lawful hand of the Polity until discovering a greater conspiracy and seeking to not only fight the mythos but also the government who propogates such barbarity.

Who I'm looking for

Writers of dark and quite stark imagery. I need an 'example gaming fiction' front piece with "how would my Polity 'Guardian' react?" sidebars spotted around the book. I also need factual writers to handle the main copy of the book, detailing character generation, skills, occupations, and the general setting, monsters sections etc.
Artists who deal in either stark forms (b&w bold contrast illustrations of a clean nature) and propoganda art such as war time/post revolutionary Soviet posters. ALL other art considered. Also, a digital artist who is able to turn the 'Christ the Redeemer' statue in Rio de janeiro into an impromptu, dynamite assisted statue of Y'Golonac would be helpful.

Why it's unpaid

Sadly, this has to be a labour of love due to the fact it will be submitted as a monograph to Chaosium and they only pay $250 per MONOGRAPH. Sorry. If they decide (for seemingly the first time ever) to release it as a full print then any money will be divided between contributors in relation to the amount of work they've done and I'm quite prepared to draw up a contract to that effect. (see their submissions info here: Chaosium Submissions )

Word count

My initial estimate is a word count of 80,000. As I'm an ideas man this is mostly in the form of notes or locked away in my rotting brain so it will be an involving and evolving process.

Interested?

Please see here for the Cthulhu Adventus blogspace: Cthulhu Adventus
or contact me at steffworthington(AT)hotmail.com
My Portfolio

Last edited:

Remove ads