• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caltrops?

Gruns

Explorer
No official caltrops that I know of, but they're easy enough to just make up. Standard action to apply them to a square, and whatever square they're on is difficult terrain for people that aren't wearing heavy armor. Or something.
Later!
Gruns

Griogre

First Post
Didn't one of the pre release dungeons have Kobolds with Caltrops? I think it was an attack vs. ref and on a hit the character was slowed (save ends) with an aftereffect of the character having its speed reduced by one until the end of the encounter.

Starfox

Hero
I kind of miss caltrops too, but I'd want a very simple mechanism for them - making terrain difficult ground in a Close Blast 3 as a standard action seems about right.

the kobold ones were pretty nasty actually as they were poisoned etc iirc? :)

My suggestion is this:
Caltrops, simple weapon, Int vs Reflex (skill dictates how good they are).
Damage:1 (they aren't that lethal!), and Slowed (save ends).
but can treat square as hindering terrain (takes 3 squares to move through without harm)
bag of caltrops 1lb fillls a close blast 2 (10'x10') area
Huge and some other creatures (common sense!) are immune to them.
Charging creatures make a secondary attack on them, fail = they fall prone and suffer further 1d4 damage.

caltrops are not about killing...it' about tactics...unless you use poison! ;)

the kobold ones were pretty nasty actually as they were poisoned etc iirc? :)

My suggestion is this:
Caltrops, simple weapon, Int vs Reflex (skill dictates how good they are).
Damage:1 (they aren't that lethal!), and Slowed (save ends).
but can treat square as hindering terrain (takes 3 squares to move through without harm)
bag of caltrops 1lb fillls a close blast 2 (10'x10') area
Huge and some other creatures (common sense!) are immune to them.
Charging creatures make a secondary attack on them, fail = they fall prone and suffer further 1d4 damage.

caltrops are not about killing...it' about tactics...unless you use poison! ;)

I think I'd even just leave out the 1 damage due to its 'minion popping' ramifications. 1 damage is trivial anyway, so it doesn't diminish the effect much. The 'slowed by 1 till end of encounter' seems kind of nice as well, but maybe its too much trouble to bother with keeping track of.

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
Caltrops would be extremely lethal to anyone on a mount (The Original intention of Caltrops in rl). If a horse steps on caltrops they are out for a while, or dead from being crippled in the middle of battle. But since you obviously don't want everyones mount being destroyed whenever they step on caltrops, you should just amplify the damage a bit. Just a thought.

Abdul,
hm yeah good point on "minion popping", well "slowed until save" or maybe "Slowed until healed" I think then works good, IMHO :)

ArtOfSymetry,
cavalry caltrops were often different and quite specific, infantry caltrops MAY stop a horse or such, but much larger ones specifically for horses were used, with spikes up to 3 inches in length, rather than only 1 inch, from what I've read.
Those would cause serious injury, however, humanoids would see and avoid them unless concealed by very thick undergrowth or the like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads