D&D General Campaign character focus tracking

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think the point is that "wanting to rescue [person]" is a goal that requires going and doing. There's nothing inherent to it that involves avoiding anything. You could have "avoid former slave master" as a preference, which would very likely complicate the rescue if the former master were around, even as a potential ally in the rescue.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
In a Saltmarsh game in which I played, my character, Jacoby Nimble, had a bond that mentioned seeking revenge for the sinking of my ship The Candlestick by a tabaxi pirate named Captain Whiskers. One session, the DM dropped hints about some scheming pirate lord. So I mused aloud that this could be the work of Captain Whiskers, my most hated foe! The DM then erased the name of the pirate lord, replaced it with Captain Whiskers, and without any prior planning on his own, a conflict in my backstory was integrated into the game.
That’s cool. Sounds like a great game experience with very creative players. I think that also requires a certain degree of experience and comfort on behalf of the players? But I will definitely encourage my future players to keep their goals and bonds in mind so that when the opportunity reveals itself they take it. Actually that could be a great opportunity to award Inspiration?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think the point is that "wanting to rescue [person]" is a goal that requires going and doing. There's nothing inherent to it that involves avoiding anything. You could have "avoid former slave master" as a preference, which would very likely complicate the rescue if the former master were around, even as a potential ally in the rescue.
I guess I don’t see why the rescue is interesting by itself for a character. Going against an NPC with whom the player has history is much richer IMHO and that’s the sort of thing I’m looking for.

Exactly.

I once had a player whose character's stated mission was "Avoid contact with all sentient life." That didn't got down well. I can't do anything with that.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I guess I don’t see why the rescue is interesting by itself for a character. Going against an NPC with whom the player has history is much richer IMHO and that’s the sort of thing I’m looking for.

You didn't phrase the goal as "oppose my former slave master," you phrased it as "avoid my former slave master." The former is a goal that can be achieved by doing something; the latter is a goal that can be achieved by doing nothing. One of those is easy to involve in the game, the other isn't.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That’s cool. Sounds like a great game experience with very creative players. I think that also requires a certain degree of experience and comfort on behalf of the players? But I will definitely encourage my future players to keep their goals and bonds in mind so that when the opportunity reveals itself they take it. Actually that could be a great opportunity to award Inspiration?

The Case for Inspiration.

There's a reason why DMs burn out. It's because they're doing a lot of the work the players could be doing. Ask them to step up. In my experience, they will.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You didn't phrase the goal as "oppose my former slave master," you phrased it as "avoid my former slave master." The former is a goal that can be achieved by doing something; the latter is a goal that can be achieved by doing nothing. One of those is easy to involve in the game, the other isn't.
Ok, point scored I guess...?

ccs

41st lv DM
I also felt like the main adventure took the spotlight and that's what I'm trying to avoid in future by ensuring I keep better track of things.

You could reconsider having a "main adventure".

For example, in my current 5e game there's been multiple "adventures".
Some dreamed up 100% by me, the DM. Some inspired by things based on the PCs actions/backstories, and some initiated by the players.

What I do to keep track of Character details is dedicate about 2 pages to each PC in the front of my notebook.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The next campaign I run I want to do a better job of weaving together character arcs with the greater campaign arc. Part of that, I think, is being able to visualize the threads in some way other than walis of text and the idea of some kind of line graph plot came to mind with perhaps call outs to particular events. Or perhaps simply some colored pens to indicate which session focused on which characters?

Perhaps I’m overthinking it? Has anyone done anything like this?
I'm doing this in my current 5e game -- not visualizing, but making the game much more about the PC's interests by weaving that into the narrative. I did this by not really having a concrete plotline to start with -- ie, I had a loose idea to base the start on, but it wasn't something I held tightly to. For me, it was a variant of a multi-piece artifact that does... something to be determined later. The first session was the PC's getting a job to fetch something and stumbling on a piece of the artifact (yeah, I gave an artifact to low level PCs -- and they hate me for it). As soon as that was done, I had their PCs background blurbs (limited to 1 paragraph only) and their BIFTs. From there, I started adding those elements into whatever we did -- usually by throwing multiple triggers at once. Did the party want to help PC1 follow their dream to become the best pit fighter in Sigil, or PC2's desire for wealth and power, or PC3's desire to strike back at the mind flayer's that enslaved him? Putting this alongside the "main" thrust of finding out more about the artifacts meant that the PC's desires were in (mild) conflict with each other and that made them take on more significance.

Now, through play, we've determined that PC1's goal to become a famous pit fighter is secondary to their goal to hunt down their nemesis, a nemesis who is now a primary rival for finding parts of the artifact. PC2 is dedicated to finding the artifact pieces as they see it as the way to obtain the power they desire. PC3 is now working with a mind flayer to fight against other mind flayers, knowing betrayal is inevitable, but is struggling to come to grips with the revelation that they weren't enslaved -- they volunteered. And, PC4 has the ghost of a dead god inhabiting her, whose motivations are as yet unclear but some power beings want to put paid to that ghost and the PC is in the way. Exactly none of this was planned at the start.

As a possibly salient point, this particular campaign has a "no death" rule. PCs cannot die unless the player agrees. If a PC would die, they're taken out of the action, and I get to do something mean. I can overwrite parts of their backstory (this is what happened to PC3), or add a complication (this is what happened to PC4, who hates undeath but is not host to a powerful undead spirit). It also means I can be more free with adding serious pressure to things when warranted. This kind of rule, perversely, has upped the challenge level (again, due to me not having to be nearly as careful) AND put PC arcs more in the forefront as "dying" means that characters find out things about themselves that are challenging and demand to be dealt with. This might not be for you, but I have been pleasantly surprised at it's effectiveness in my game (this is the first campaign I've done anything like this).

Remove ads