Campaign Concepts You've Got On Deck

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, multiple threads active right now have discussions ongoing about the premise of a campaign, and one of them has me on the trail of a new limited campaign.

Basically, the idea is a mission set by The Church, wherein the PCs are members of different holy orders chosen by the church to investigate and deal with something. There are so many other concepts being thrown around in my group, and 4 active campaigns ongoing anyway, I doubt I'll get to run it anytime soon.

What are some campaign concepts that you've had recently that you aren't sure you'll ever get to run, or will just have to wait a while to run?

Besides the Knights campaign, I have plans for;
  • a game wherein everyone is some sort of wandering duelist, gathered together for a Great Hunt a la Wheel of Time or Final Fantasy 9. Sort of a 7 Samurai meets Indiana Jones with an inciting premise of "The Great Hunt is rising, monsters are being spotted in greater numbers and some haven't been seen since the last Great Hunt over 200 years ago. Some of the Great Beasts can only be defeated by one of the Legendary Weapons associated with the Hunt."
  • Casablanca Heist In Space! DnD in space is a thing my group is doing anyway, but I doublt we will get to do my big heist game set in a border world based on Casablanca anytime soon.
  • Small town island kids. Everyone is a teen or young adult, from a small town in a small island chain, come together for a summer festival, something happens to disrupt the festival, and a local shaman sends these kids to look into it, based on a vision. Chrono Cross meets Neverwinter Nights 2. Big set piece is a local dungeon that is actually a big cosmic dragon construct that landed here a thousand years ago, eventually forming an island chain.

Odysseus

Explorer
Seneschal like a Steward type position? A de facto ruler in the absence of a technical monarch? or something else?

Intriguing, regardless.
Thats the description from the Zeitgeist AP. I was thinking of making her the President of the Demonocracy. That way I could have a election and presidential debate.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve got loads sitting around, gathering “eDust”. Some I’ve mentioned in the “Campaigns” link in my sig.

The ones I most want to run are a post-apocalyptic 3.XEd D&D campaign and a third swing at my Vernian/Wellsian early 1900s Supers setting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve got loads sitting around, gathering “eDust”. Some I’ve mentioned in the “Campaigns” link in my sig.

The ones I most want to run are a post-apocalyptic 3.XEd D&D campaign and a third swing at my Vernian/Wellsian early 1900s Supers setting.
That sounds fun. I’ve long wanted to mix Vernian tech, cosmic horror, and Dresden Files magic, in a 1800s Weird West and Steampunk setting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds fun. I’ve long wanted to mix Vernian tech, cosmic horror, and Dresden Files magic, in a 1800s Weird West and Steampunk setting.
The way I did it was start with the setting from the Space:1889 RPG, added straight-up Verne & Wells stuff, then started looking for stuff from other sources that would fit the setting...like the American Western. Esp the weird ones.

From that, I grabbed freely from Wild, Wild West, Kung Fu, and The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.

Stuff got lifted from Moorcock’s Bastable stories, Gibson’s Difference Engine, legends of Atlantis, Shangri-La, Holmesian stories, PT Barnum, DC and Marvel comics, Frankenstein & Dracula, some Harry Turtledove alien invasion novels, and so forth.

I time-shifted some storylines from movies like The Man With The Golden Gun and Alien Nation.

Some of my players brought in anime references, and I ran with those, too.

However, I have to say, I never even thought of incorporate any HPL...and it TOTALLY would have worked. You should go for it!

Last edited:

Remove ads