D&D 5E Campaign Encounter Help (High Level)

pogre

Legend
In my campaign, the players have two sets of characters. The first set reached level 20 and are in semi-retirement and are known as heroes of the realm. The second set has just reached the climax of a story arc and have reached 14th level. So, I'm doing something a little different for me - there are multiple threats coming together and the players are going to be bring both sets of characters - the first half of the session will be devoted to the epic characters' task, the second half to the 14th level set.

I need your help with the challenge of the epic level group.

The main enemy is a mage who has engineered a coup in the Mages' University and is working to take over the realm itself. He has access to a couple of apprentices. The problem is a 20th level mage even with a shield guardian are going to be a speed bump for this group - Even if I add in a couple of high level apprentices. I would like to make the epic challenge, well, epic.

Please give me suggestions.

What allies should the rebel mage have. Where do the PCs need to confront him?

This is not a 'gotcha' encounter - I just want it to be interesting and tense.

Thanks for helping me!

Oofta

Legend
Why is the mage confronting the PCs directly? I agree with not playing gotcha, but that doesn't mean that there can't be red herrings and troops the PCs have to get through, think waves of bad guys with the last wave being the mage. Attrition is going to be your friend here I think, as will misdirection.

Not knowing your group, some suggestions. I know you could do the whole fiend thing (and it's not a bad suggestion) I personally get tired of every high level fight being fiends. But there are a lot of other options.
  • Send in the clones ... err ... simulacrum.
  • Improved invisibility + counterspell (although this can be annoying if overdone)
  • A mob of iron golems
  • Charm a bunch of innocent NPCs so they have to be dealt with in the middle of the chaos
  • Have the mage orchestrating everything from behind an impenetrable barrier while in an antimagic zone; make it the goal of forcing him out of safety. Think in terms of multiple goals and paths to achieve those goals.
  • He's really an ancient dragon. Surprise!
  • Other puzzles and traps depending on what the players enjoy.
  • Throw in mobs of other relatively low level monsters - the DMG has rules for it.
  • Borrow and steal legendary and lair actions from other high level monsters. Dragons have some cool ones. Heck, give him legendary resistance described as a special pendant he has around his neck with glowing crystals that absorb spells and go dim until his next turn.
Yes, some of these tactics could be a little annoying so I would play it by ear a bit. Remember, the NPC caster is probably a genius and there are times when I'm flexible on my options. That NPC is smarter than me and probably thought of things I didn't and may have something prepped that will perfectly counter the PC's actions. Again, don't overdo it.

Anyway, that's what I can come up with off the top of my head. Challenging high level PCs can be tough, but you know your group better than I do and what will be fun.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
First, if the PCs (or half of them) are Epic, give the Enemy Magic some Epic boon-type stuff.

Second, a 20th-level wizard can (literally) have an army of simulacrum RAW (if you play without house-ruling it). I was joking with a friend of mine the other day that pretty much once a Wizard reaches tier 4, due to that single spell and how much you can abuse it, I finally "won" D&D. ;-)

Anyway, here is a neat idea if you incorporate DM "PCs" as well, have the wizard grow a clone of himself but much younger, like maybe late teens, and have him join the party as a guide or something in some capacity, and mess with them that way.

Otherwise, the sky's the limit really.

pogre

Legend
Second, a 20th-level wizard can (literally) have an army of simulacrum RAW (if you play without house-ruling it). I was joking with a friend of mine the other day that pretty much once a Wizard reaches tier 4, due to that single spell and how much you can abuse it, I finally "won" D&D. ;-)

Man, I was excited by the idea of an army of simulacrum-created dupes until I read this in the spell description:
If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed.

Still, a very cool spell I will be using!

Also looking at contingency - are there other prep spells the powerful mage could have ready? Keep in mind, the mage is involved in a very active plot to take over or destroy a mages' university and take over the PCs' native land - it is not really in the cards for the mage and his forces to 'turtle.'

TheDelphian

Explorer
The idea with simulacrum is nothing prevents it from casting the spell. So hence army.

I like Golems for wizard thugs. Thematic and usually fun.

Summoned help and magical traps work fairly well too depending on prep time f the enemy.

Enemy spellcasters don't have to follow the same rules as PCs. In my current 15th level campaign, the BBEG wizard has an infinite army of clones with a hivemind, plus the ability to hold Concentration on multiple spells simultaneously. I haven't done this personally, but I would consider also letting him cast multiple spells on his turn, or gain legendary actions, or both. Maybe he can't be counterspelled. Etc.

I think the flavor of minions depend on the theme of the spellcaster. For example, there are a lot of solid undead for a necromancer -- especially creatures that can drop players to 0 hp like a banshee or a bodak. Evokers could partner with elementals and genie. Golems are always good. Demons and devils are great, too.

Remove ads