Campaign in the (Past or Future) Illithid Empire?

saucercrab

Explorer
Anyone ever run/played in a campaign set in the great illithid empire of legend (either the distant past or far future)? I'm toying with the idea (& of combining it with an all VoP party), & would like to hear what others have done.

There was this yahoo group years ago. I know it died pretty quick and I'm not sure it even had much of anything useful to begin with (maybe did, maybe didn't, I simply don't remember).

I seem to recall the topic coming up at Planewalker.com as well once upon a time. Maybe in their Rrakkma section they might have useful material. If nothing else, you could cross-post this on the forums there as well.

Dunno if those are helpful, but I just have to say that I think it's a very awesome idea and I'd love to see it fleshed out someday.

WarlockLord

First Post
I had something in my homebrew campaign where the illithids came from outer space in starships ages ago and conquered the planet, but were defeated in the mage insurrection in the year 0 of the calender. Now, adventurers can fight robots and lasers and stuff.

Just a thought.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
WarlockLord said:
I had something in my homebrew campaign where the illithids came from outer space in starships ages ago and conquered the planet, but were defeated in the mage insurrection in the year 0 of the calender. Now, adventurers can fight robots and lasers and stuff.

Just a thought.
He doesn't want to adventure after the fall of the illithid empire -- that's the default state for D&D.

Krilia

First Post
Would the Unveiled Masters book from Paradigm possibly be useful?

And talk about coincidences... *waves to Whizbang* At a time long past, I was known as Heartsong Steelsoul, volunteer moderator on EQTraders. :) With that combo of first and last name, I'll assume you're the same person from there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Krilia said:
Would the Unveiled Masters book from Paradigm possibly be useful?

And talk about coincidences... *waves to Whizbang* At a time long past, I was known as Heartsong Steelsoul, volunteer moderator on EQTraders. :) With that combo of first and last name, I'll assume you're the same person from there.
I was sure I responded to this!

It's me! Tinkering makes me cry, though, so I try not to think about it. :p

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like the idea and even have a thought about how "adventurers" could exist in such a setting. Maybe illithids allow certain amounts of human freedom (or the illusion of it) because it breeds tastier brains?

saucercrab

Explorer
kenmarable & Ctenosaur & Krilia,
I'll take a look at those. Thanks.

Whizbang Dustyboots & IanB & EricNoah,
Yeah, for the most part.

Maybe not a central part of the rebellion, & possibly not even all human, depending on the player's race choices. Mayhap the campaign would happen on a far-flung outpost of the empire, where the 'flayers practice selective breeding on the local populace (to create certain brain flavors), which inadvertently causes certain anomalies to manifest, like psionics (or other more esoteric things, courtesy of certain subtle powers of good). I just thought it would make a neat backdrop for an all VoP party. Escaped slaves, blessed by deities of the upper planes fighting an evil entrenched everywhere.

However, I absolutely suuuuuuck at creating adventures/campaigns & running in general, so I hope to gather enough intel online & possibly bring it up to my group's usual DM & see if he runs with the idea. ;)

Remove ads