• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign organizer software

Gulla

Adventurer
Starting up a new campaign I'm looking into nice electronic tools to help me keep things organized and clean. After looking into lots of different commercial and online solutions I find almost all of them far too rigid and/or with limited availability at the table. I've set up a wiki, but I really would like something for the character sheets and character management.

My hope is that I can store the characters (and NPCs and the rest of my campaign if I get it all working) in a database and then generate/present the character sheets when needed. My plan was to have this available (behind a password) for the players to do levelling and maintenance between sessions.

It's been far too long since I programmed much, so my old tools neither work or are web-capable any more, so I was wondering if there are any open source projects out there doing anything like it (so I can read code and learn) or if there are any programs that actually do this for any generic RPG.

jcayer

Explorer
If you have it, Microsoft OneNote is a great tool. I've just started using it at work and will certainly use it for my next campaign.
You can paste pretty much anything into it and organize it in a myriad of ways.

Gulla

Adventurer
If you have it, Microsoft OneNote is a great tool. I've just started using it at work and will certainly use it for my next campaign.
You can paste pretty much anything into it and organize it in a myriad of ways.

The disadvantage being that I would need to set up (or gain access to) a SharePoint server to get the stuff onto the web, if I have understood correctly from my evening of testing it.

Much of my challenge is that I can either get very a very nice system for organizing (almost) everything on the desktop or a way to share with the players. Since I want it all (and I want it now! ;) ) it seems I must either lower my demands or program it myself.

That I'm not running D&D or any close relative of it makes it even harder. Generic programs are few and far between. There are a few that are local (as in "running on th PC" ) but nothing online, it seems.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The disadvantage being that I would need to set up (or gain access to) a SharePoint server to get the stuff onto the web, if I have understood correctly from my evening of testing it.

Much of my challenge is that I can either get very a very nice system for organizing (almost) everything on the desktop or a way to share with the players. Since I want it all (and I want it now! ;) ) it seems I must either lower my demands or program it myself.

That I'm not running D&D or any close relative of it makes it even harder. Generic programs are few and far between. There are a few that are local (as in "running on th PC" ) but nothing online, it seems.

BattleGrounds could be an option, or one of the other V.Tabletops.

jcayer

Explorer
I see the problem with One Note. I'll be using it for DM info. For the players, I keep a basic blog with what happened each session. It's not the best solution, but it has proven valuable.
The biggest headache is I have to write it to make sure all the relevant information is included. And we all know the day after a night of gaming is SLOW. So it sometimes takes a few days till I get to it and by then, I'm a little lighter on the details.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads