D&D General Campaign Setting Contest: Should We Do It Again?

Aldarc

Legend
-Seems a bit adolescent (like concepts that my 14-year old buddy would have come up with back in the day, dinosaur riding halflings, indeed).
Unlike mature settings that have spaceships crashed in mountains? Or pervy OP wizards who serve as the setting authors' self-insert character?

-Trying too hard to be different, yet including pretty much everything.
Because we need another generic fantasy setting like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms?

-Drow that aren't into spiders, but one of the other 3 arachnids, not ticks.
That's an oddly particular preference.

-Airships have been done to death (The Princess Ark, Halruaa, Spelljammer).
So much for Eberron trying too hard to be different. ;)

-The Lighting Rail is just goofy (just the name, alone).
Like calling something "high speed rail" or the "rail way"? Talk about goofy names. And the idea of binding a lightning elemental to empower high-speed travel and calling it Lightning Rail? Nowhere would there be precedent for names that goofy in the real world.

-Dragonmarks are dull as dishwater.
How so?

-Not into the Orrery cosmology, which debuted in 3.0's Manual of the Planes.
That's okay since I dislike the Great Wheel. But it's nice to have at least one setting with Orrery cosmology for those of us who dislike the Wheel.

Also, it claims to be noir, I just don't see that.
A number of hooks center around Maltese Falcon macguffins. Tense "interwar" period featuring espionage. Postwar disillusionment, crime, and hardboiled detectives. A lot of plots within plots in the background, albeit with supernatural threats.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Unlike mature settings that have spaceships crashed in mountains? Or pervy OP wizards who serve as the setting authors' self-insert character?

Because we need another generic fantasy setting like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms?

That's an oddly particular preference.

So much for Eberron trying too hard to be different. ;)

Like calling something "high speed rail" or the "rail way"? Talk about goofy names. And the idea of binding a lightning elemental to empower high-speed travel and calling it Lightning Rail? Nowhere would there be precedent for names that goofy in the real world.

How so?

That's okay since I dislike the Great Wheel. But it's nice to have at least one setting with Orrery cosmology for those of us who dislike the Wheel.

A number of hooks center around Maltese Falcon macguffins. Tense "interwar" period featuring espionage. Postwar disillusionment, crime, and hardboiled detectives. A lot of plots within plots in the background, albeit with supernatural threats.

I appreciate the effort, have heard of all this before, thanks, but does not persuade.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
I'm glad you are approaching this from a close-minded perspective since that spares you any discomfort of engaging in any good faith dialogue.

Not need for such defensive, insulting hysteria; I just don't need to like what you like, and vice versa, which is, okay. *said like Stuart Smalley*

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
[MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7005485]Mycroft[/MENTION], can't we just agree that Eberron is awesome, but not perfect.

After all, my opinion must be right.

I and I alone sit atop a fortress of unassailable truth.

Sadras

Legend
The setting contest was cool, and spawned a bunch of books beyond Eberron (I did dig Midnight quite a bit). But I don’t think that the hobby is at a place that it would make sense to do so. I think I’d much rather see an adventure contest instead. That would fit the current D&D product model a lot more closely.

I didn't realise Midnight was spawned from that!
But more to the point you're right adventure contest sounds awesome.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Remember that time when people disagreed on a matter of pop culture preference, but through long slogs of discussion on the internet everyone was converted into having the same opinion? That sure was a great day.

Remove ads