Campaign Starting Models

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing that has come up in some recent playtest feedback has promoted me to share some material in advance. I hadn't wanted to get into this quite yet, but I think we're at the point where it's needed.

Campaign Starting Models (placeholder name) refers to the starting power level of player characters. This is described in terms of numbers of career grades as follows.

Grades include your starter.

1 grade - apprentice level
3 grades - beginner level
5 grades - hero level (default at present)

Right now you're starting as fully competent heroes. But you can choose one of the other two models. Hero level was chosen to give playtesters the ability to test more stuff.

This translates to level (the equivalent of monster level) at a 1:1 rate. So a character with 3 grades is 3rd level.

A hero level character is capable of much more than an apprentice level one. The campaign itself should reflect the capabilities of the character levels. An apprentice will be challenged by a goblin. A hero won't be.

[h=3]Dice Pool Limits[/h]
A potential idea that I'd like to try is this.

Your max dice pool is equal to your level. Someone with 5 career grades has a max pool size of 5d6. However, you can't be limited in this way to less than 3d6.

This has a few knock-on effects, in terms of both game difficulty and chargen strategies.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As a clarification, since this came up in today's playtest. The die pool limit is the core Attribute + Skill + Equipment pool only. You can still use LUCK, spells, and tactics to increase the pool.

Remove ads