WOIN Calibrating Difficulty Benchmarks to player expectations

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Which version of the book are you looking at? From the 1.2 ruleset critical hits requires triple sixes in a roll which would normally hit. I wonder if NOW slip thorough the net on that ?
I just re-checked, NOW Core Rulebook version 1.2 according to the print book front cover and the PDF. I copied and pasted from the PDF to be sure I got it correct.

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
NOW_1-2_Screenshot.jpg

sum1els

Explorer
I think the real question is how hard you think things like this should be in your world. On TV characters regularly pick locks and spoof video feeds, but in real life these things are much more rare. Would it be super cool and in the theme of your game for your players to regularly create short video loops for cameras like the standard tv/movie trope? Then you should make it easier. Do you want players to struggle to do that? Then make it harder.

You might also try using a "yes, and" method of dealing with the "failure" cases. Oh, you failed by 1? You set up a 60 second video loop, but there is unfortunately a very short but noticeable jump when it loops. Oh, you failed by 7? You set up a loop but it's only 10 seconds long, or the loop has visual static that the original video didn't have...

And somewhat unrelated, check out the Lockpicking Lawyer on YouTube if you want to see someone make it look easy.

I think the real question is how hard you think things like this should be in your world. On TV characters regularly pick locks and spoof video feeds, but in real life these things are much more rare. Would it be super cool and in the theme of your game for your players to regularly create short video loops for cameras like the standard tv/movie trope? Then you should make it easier. Do you want players to struggle to do that? Then make it harder.

You might also try using a "yes, and" method of dealing with the "failure" cases. Oh, you failed by 1? You set up a 60 second video loop, but there is unfortunately a very short but noticeable jump when it loops. Oh, you failed by 7? You set up a loop but it's only 10 seconds long, or the loop has visual static that the original video didn't have...

And somewhat unrelated, check out the Lockpicking Lawyer on YouTube if you want to see someone make it look easy.
Fail forward mechanics are great as they really keep the game going, however they require the whole group (players and DM) to get used to them.

Remove ads