Campaigns in a nutshell. Adventures in a sentence.

Some door based non-combat encounters:

Trap: Exploding Door- A door whose interior is under tension, like a coiled spring, if the structural integrity of the door is compromised by someone trying to break it down it bursts and sprays the immediate area with shrapnel. It does have the drawback that due to the internal tension it will fail in this way after recieving less damage than it would take to hack through an ordinary door of its general type

Exploding door trap- Magical variant This versi9n of the above trap is held together by magic emitted by the door frame. The key also emits similar magic. If contact with the frame is broken by the door being opened without the magic key (suck as being forced, or having the lock opened by picking or the Knock spell) the door explodes as above

Corrugated door- This door is made of a very very long sheet of metal that has been folded back on itself many many times. The bolt of the lock passes through every layer of folds. Because of its unusually high surface area it requires a higher caster level knock spell to bypass its lock than would be normal for a door of its size

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The scariest, shortest ghost story I've ever read. It would make an excellent adventure hook.
"I can't sleep," she said, as she slid into bed beside me.​
I wake up cold, holding the dress she was buried in.​

Terrorist Solar Cell
For a superheroes or spies type game. A mad scientist (and/or rich lunatic with mad scientists in his employ) who harbors Unabomber-esque political views is building a doomsday device designed to provoke a Carrington scale solar storm that will destroy all advanced technology on Earth. The PCs will confront the villain's forces on Earth before traveling to space to throw down against the villain himself in an ironically high-tech fortress orbiting the sun which houses the superweapon

The Sword In The ... what?

During a succession crisis a portentous object appears. A sword driven through an anvil which rests atop a vampire who is splayed over a large stone. Whoever can pull the sword from the stone is the rightful king but will have to deal with the vampire

Rot Bots

Ok, so I'm watching Transformers: BotBots on Netflix and I had the thought that if that energon burst had hit a cemetery instead of a mall that town would be overrun with robot zombies (and robot headstones too, but that's a different matter)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Questing Cursebreakers

Each member of the party has had their life profoundly affected by some kind of curse or spell. Under the tutelage of a mage who had his OWN curse broken, they have banded together to find cures for their afflictions…or ways to live with their burdens in ways they- and hopefully, society- can accept.

Note: this is a campaign that can be geared for gamers of any age. Look to Disney & Pixar films, or movies like Ladyhawke for examples of people dealing with curses that don’t necessarily involve body horror and gore.

1659346915070.gif

Last edited:

*D20 Modern, or possibly Call of Cthulhu, adventure where vampire hunters must destroy Lenin and Chairman Mao (who are clearly vampires because their bodies haven't decayed and they were both evil in life, both easily the equal of Vlad the Impaler)

*On a related note, Call of Cthulhu adventure involving vampires, who are interpreted as minions of Nyarlathotep (who has an existing semi-canonical association with bats). But the twist, as the PCs will discover at an inopportune time when they think they have the upper hand, is that all the well known vampire weaknesses are closer to a cultural or psychological thing and not a true part of their constitution, and if actually imperiled they can ignore things such as garlic or sunlight or the cross as easily as a human in a burning building could run outside without getting dressed. These things have no real power, Nyarly just thought it would be more interesting for himself if his minions had restrictions; he has nothing really to gain by winning nor is he at any real risk from losing. If the minions break the rules too many times he may punish them himself, but even this is not reliable and will certainly stop being the case if the PCs try to force more than two into this situation in close succession

Remove ads