Campaigns inspired by songs

aramis erak

Legend
I've used The Body Electric, often known for its refrain's leitmotif 1001001 by Rush, to inspire a few Traveller sessions and a Paranoia session.

I've long considered a Dwarven party escaping a zombie plague in the tunnels... inspired by Men At Work's Land Down Under.

And M Gibster is dead on about BÖC's Veteran of the Psychic Wars. That coupled with NBC Nightly News During Desert Storm inspired an Active Duty Marines Traveller campaign - take and hold a Tavrchedle Treatment Center (in Imperial, "A Zhodani Thought Police Reeducation Center")...

nyvinter

Adventurer
I did a 7th Sea/Genesys campaign based on a William Elliott Whitmore song.

» And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors
In hopeless waters oh way down deep
Sometimes it seems that all that matters
Most are all the things that you can't keep
«

I co-GMed a Serenity/Firefly game many years ago, where a lot of the session/episode titles were Elton John inspired. We stole most of them from a very old rpg.net thread - Crocodile Rock, Benny and the Jets, Rocket Man, The Bitch is Back, etc etc etc

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Blue Oyster Cult's "Veteran of the Psychic Wars." Bonus points because it was part of the Heavy Metal soundtrack. This might make a decent inspiration for a science fiction campaign with psychics who can't, or aren't permitted, to lay down arms.

I was gonna say Vengeance (The Pact) or The Vigil…. BOC songs in general are great for this…

Atomoctba

Adventurer
There are some Brazilian songs that could span an entire campaign or at least a good one shot. But once they are in Portuguese, there is no much sense in sharing them here ;)

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
I've always liked the vibe of Dylan's "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" for a game about medieval politics, though I admit that there's a real danger of veering into a Wes Anderson does Game of Thrones space. Though I can't help but think that that's kind of appealing to me, too.

Remove ads