Can a lich create a new phylactery?

Quartz

Hero
In 3.5E, destroying a lich's phylactery does not destroy the lich, merely its ability to form a new body. But if a lich knows its phylactery has been destroyed, can it create a new phylactery?

Obviously if the plot says it can then it can, but as standard can it?

Dioltach

Legend
I could have sworn that the description in the MM says that a lich may only ever have one phylactery, but the SRD doesn't say anything about it.

I could have sworn that the description in the MM says that a lich may only ever have one phylactery, but the SRD doesn't say anything about it.

It's been a long time since I looked at it but my understanding is that the lich can have only one phylactery at a time. If it's destroyed he can make a new one with the same costs as creating the original one.

n00bdragon

First Post
According to the SRD there does not appear to be any limit to the number of phylacteries a lich can create by RAW. All it requires is 120,000GP and 4,800XP, the ability to cast spells as an 11th level caster, and some sort of item to become the phylactery which is suggested to be a small metal box but not explicitly required to be so.

Greenfield

Adventurer
My understanding was the the phylactery was the safe harbor for the lich's soul He might be able to replace the vessel, but getting the soul back to put inside...

That sounds like an adventure in and of itself.

OttoVonBigby

First Post
For what it's worth, here's what I decided for my setting when I found myself asking that same question (relevant section in bold):
"Destroying a lich's phylactery while the lich is still intact does no direct harm to the lich. However, the lich is well aware of the loss, and will usually exercise extreme caution to avoid being destroyed therafter. Under no circumstances can a lich create a second phylactery; the process of creating a phylactery is as unique an event cosmologically as the birth of an individual, and cannot occur a second time. However, supremely powerful liches deprived of their phylacteries may have commensurately potent means of avoiding destruction (e.g. divine intervention)."

If I remember right, my rationale was twofold:

1- for the players, destroying a lich's phylactery is a huge enough undertaking that, if the lich can just shrug and make a new phylactery, the players are likely to despair or grumble or otherwise feel disempowered.

2- if a lich can just shrug and make a new phylactery, the intensity of their paranoia about concealing their existing phylactery makes less sense.

3- if the players are sufficiently potent that just one phylactery isn't enough, it's probably time to start thinking about a demilich :]

For what it's worth, here's what I decided for my setting when I found myself asking that same question (relevant section in bold):
"Destroying a lich's phylactery while the lich is still intact does no direct harm to the lich. However, the lich is well aware of the loss, and will usually exercise extreme caution to avoid being destroyed therafter. Under no circumstances can a lich create a second phylactery; the process of creating a phylactery is as unique an event cosmologically as the birth of an individual, and cannot occur a second time. However, supremely powerful liches deprived of their phylacteries may have commensurately potent means of avoiding destruction (e.g. divine intervention)."

If I remember right, my rationale was twofold:

1- for the players, destroying a lich's phylactery is a huge enough undertaking that, if the lich can just shrug and make a new phylactery, the players are likely to despair or grumble or otherwise feel disempowered.

2- if a lich can just shrug and make a new phylactery, the intensity of their paranoia about concealing their existing phylactery makes less sense.

3- if the players are sufficiently potent that just one phylactery isn't enough, it's probably time to start thinking about a demilich :]

I don't feel the need for such precautions. Creating the new phylactery is an expensive and time-consuming undertaking. You find and destroy the phylactery and then kill the lich while he's vulnerable.

delericho

Legend
My understanding was the the phylactery was the safe harbor for the lich's soul He might be able to replace the vessel, but getting the soul back to put inside...

That sounds like an adventure in and of itself.

I like this answer.

Of course, there's at least one recent fantasy wizard who had several such repositories for bits of his soul. But he must not be named, so...

Luce

Explorer
In FR, it is possible to split the phylactery into multiple pieces using an epic spell.
(Champions of Ruin, p37 "Aumvor's fragmented phylactery"). Even more it can be cast repeatedly, increasing the number each time. So I would say, at least for that setting, there is a precedent that multiple phylacteries can exist for the same being.

The MM is a little ambiguous about remaking the phylactery. However, IIRC, Libris Mortis calls out that a lich may have one and only one phylactery.

If the Lich is your BBEG I don't see why he coudln't have several phylacteries, a la Voldemort.

Remove ads