• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can anyone help a newbie group get started with P&P D&D ?

Jhaelen

First Post
While I firmly believe that 4e was, and is the best edition of the game, for someone looking to get into D&D, I'd recommend 5th edition, if only because it's the current edition.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If you're going from a console game experience to a P&P I'd (IMO) bypass any edition that "requires" booking beyond a single sheet for PC information/stats. At first.

Yup. Going from PC games to tabletop is going to bring a lot of not-quite-accurate preconceptions.

Try this for your first session:
- Each player dreams up a low-level Baldur's Gate style character.
- Everyone brings a d20.
- Don't open a single rulebook.
- Roleplay your first session, using Rule Zero (the GM is always right).
- The GM is encouraged to ask for a roll whenever he finds an outcome in doubt.
- This roll is just player d20 versus GM d20: higher result gets to narrate results.
- Give each other ideas, and practice staying in-character.

After this, come back to the forum and let us know what went well, what didn't, and what kind of rules you think would have helped your game. Then we can give you a good system recommendation.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I also recommend 5e. The Starter Set has everything you need to start playing, though I recommend everyone buying their own set of dice as well.

If you want to make your own characters (after playing a few times), check out the Basic Rules. If you want to make your own adventures, check out the Dungeon Master's Guide. If you want practical advice on how to be a good Dungeon Master, I recommend this blog series (start at the bottom, with "5 simple rules").

Remove ads