• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can D&D be played without all the mini rules?

Ibixat

First Post
I want this for my battlemat

Maybe I'm crazy, I've been playing for 25 years though and I think that the microsoft "surface" computing tech would be one of the most impressive uses of technology to facilitate a game, though I suppose you'd have to be a bit on the rich side to get a large enough screen to do it right. Real miniatures on maps on the computer, the ability for a DM to sketch a room with his fingers on screen...

Well I for one can't wait for the day I have something like the surface at my disposal for running a game.

I'm all for miniatures, to me they help keep track of everything.

Thinking some more about the surface tech it would be pretty easy using a system like that to actually completely remove the grid and just allow free range of motion, pick up your mini and an overlay could show you the range of motion you have, taking into consideration all factors etc.

OK back on topic, Mini's are cool imho, but if you want to run without the net go for it, as long as you have the ability to give good narrative and keep the numbers (fuzzy as they may be) in your head straight so that you don't gimp or overpower the PC's it's all up to you.

Remove ads