Can Dispel Magic be Maximized?

Dwarmaj

First Post
I've normally only thought of using Maximize Spell on damaging types, but can it be used on Dispel Magic to gain a caster level check of 20+caster level?

Is the 1d20 portion counted as a variable, numeric effect of the spell?

hong

WotC's bitch
RTFM.

"Saving throws and opposed rolls (such as the one you make when you cast dispel magic) are not affected" -- PHB p.83, description of Maximize Spell feat

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Note that this critical clause does not appear in the version of the feat found in the SRD, which has lead to some confusion.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Well, seeing how I'm at work and was asked the question I checked the SRD

Maximize Spell [Metamagic]

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a maximized spell are maximized. A maximized spell deals maximum damage, cures the maximum number of hit points, affects the maximum number of targets, etc., as appropriate. Spells without random variables are not affected. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

There is no mention of opposed checks or saving throws.

Thanks for the reply, but if I would have had TFM I would have read it, the next best thing is the SRD and it's incomplete (intentially or not). in many areas

Remove ads