Can I post this? If yes, where should I post it?

Hello there,

I want to ask the vast ENWorld community if someone had a text version of the Spell Compendium book. I want to collect all the spells I'll be using in my campaign in a big word document (like the SRD) to share with my players.

I currently own the Spell Compendium, so I could basically type all the spells myself. I was just wondering if, well, someone had already done the work. :blush:

So, can I post such a request, and if yes, where?

Thanks in advance,

AR

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm not a mod in any way, so feel free to stop reading, since this is my opinion.

I think that if you had enough reservation to ask, the answer is probably that it's not appropriate. My feeling is that this is, at best, ethically dubious, since the book is still under copyright, even if it is an older book. I don't think it would be any different than asking for a PDF of the book.

I haven't followed the PDF controversy with much attention, but is it illegal to own a non-official PDF of a book you own?

If not, is it illegal to give to someone a non-official PDF of a book you own to another person who owns the book?

Is the answer to those questions dependant on whether or not there exists an official PDF of said book?

AR

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In general, whether or not it is "fair use" to create another version for yourself, making another copy and giving it to someone else is technically a violation of copyright.

Whether or not the person has a physical copy of their own is not relevant, in terms of the law. You do not have the right to duplicate and distribute the work without permission in any form. Sorry.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Whether or not the person has a physical copy of their own is not relevant, in terms of the law. You do not have the right to duplicate and distribute the work without permission in any form. Sorry.

I'm not a lawyer, but the pertinent part here is distribute. Copying your own book for your own backup is (I believe) considered fair use, at least here in the US. Distribution, in either direction, is always illegal. So, for three situations:

1) You own a book, a scanner, and you make a copy of your book for backup purposes - legal.

2) You don't own the book, you download a PDF - illegal, obviously.

3) You own a book, you download a PDF of the book - still illegal, since it is not a copy of your book.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not a lawyer, but the pertinent part here is distribute.

Well, he's allowed to resell his own copy, if he so chooses. If he legally bought 17 copies, he could resell them, so he can distribute in that sense. And he's allowed to copy it for backup (or other "fair use" practice). It is only the combination that causes issue.

Remove ads