Level Up (A5E) Can Mending Restore a Damaged Item?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Hmm. I can't find any rules about it, so I'd imagine the answer is yes, unless you feel that doing so is too easy. In which case I'd require mending to be upcast with a 1st-level spell slot.

noodohs

Explorer
My personal feeling is not only yes, it can fix them, but also that that's probably intentional so that mending has some real weight in LU. Sure, it was always useful for fixing tables or doors or whatever, but now it has real, practical utility.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
In my game, mending can restore an item from destroyed to damaged, but no better than that, and it doesn't work on damaged items. Mended magic items, of course, still lack enchantment.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The spell says, "as long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage."

I'm curious as to why you would nerf the spell?
Because that way, there isn't a simple spell that skips over the entire idea of having broken items that need repair in the first place. "I win" buttons are dangerous, imo.

Stalker0

Legend
The spell says, "as long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage."

I'm curious as to why you would nerf the spell?
It came up because there is nothing in the broken or damaged condition that mentions the extent of the damage. So when an item fails a maintenance check and becomes “damaged”, did the designers intent for that to be fixed with the cantrip, or for that to require more aggressive aims?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've checked with the designers in question, and no, mending does not restore a damaged weapon or armour. It will fix cosmetic damage though. It does grant an expertise die when making maintenance checks. Of course, you may do whatever you wish in your own game, but the intention isn't for a cantrip level spell to bypass those rules.

Remove ads